Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by beatcop49: Our First....definitely not the last.

beatcop49
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Carnival Breeze Southern Caribbean Cruises

Our First....definitely not the last.

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean

This was our first cruise. We choose Carnival because of the price and reviews, and we choose to sail on the Breeze because it is the newest and largest ship, so far, in Carnival's fleet. This might be a little lengthy...please bear with me.

We flew to Miami the day of the cruise because of prior obligations. I'd recommend arriving into Miami the day before if possible. We checked in with Carnival at the airport and purchased Carnival's shuttle service. Both I would recommend. Early check in keeps you from having to do it once you arrive at the port. The shuttle is very efficient and comfortable.

Embarkation was a "breeze". We arrived at the port and were sitting in the waiting area, when it was announced we could board early...and we did. We were in our rooms by 12:30pm, changed into shorts and flip flops, went to the Lido Deck and started our "first cruise" experience.

Food- Absolutely delicious, and plenty of it. We dined early Blush upper. Our servers More were top notch. Its amazing how efficient the dining experience was. We usually ate breakfast at the buffet on Lido Deck (I think)...plenty there to partake of. There was also a place to get customized omelets....but I liked the scrambled boiled eggs just fine. Lunch was usually done at the Wok or at the pizza place. I did try Guy's hamburgers...they were good, but I didn't like their fries. I'm just not fond of seasoned French fries. Be prepared for lines at Guys and at the pizza place....simply because they are both near the pools. Free ice cream, lemon aid, tea, juice and coffee...all the time, water too.

Drinkls/Bars - Very good drinks on board. But be careful...they are so good, you might have a horrendous alcohol bill when you settle up...lol. Waiters/bar staff always helpful and there for you if you want a refresher.

Entertainment - There is so much to do....you simply cannot do it all. You have to pick what appeals to you and go there. We hit the piano bar a couple of nights...it was always crowded....because the piano player is that good. Most of our nights, we would listen to #Rhythmnation....what an awesome cover band. They really need a larger place to perform. They can place whatever genre of music you want to listen to, from the 60's to current tunes....and they do it well. Their lead guitarist, is good....I mean he's "Joe Waslh" (of the Eagles) good... We also hit the comedy club....really good acts there also. I was amazed at the talent....they could use a larger forum also, as it got crowded quickly.

Housekeeping - I simply cannot say enough good things about these folks. Our steward...it seems like he worked all day long...every day. He was always smiling and spoke to us when he saw us...by name...that was impressive. He always had a "Good Morning, Enjoy your day", or "Enjoy your evening" when he saw us. Our room was always clean and straightened...twice a day. And he was there whenever we needed something. I know tips are added to the bill, but our steward deserved a little extra...and got it.

Promenade Deck Shops - Handy to have. Some things were a little pricey though. The Carnival "2 for20" T-shirts wasn't a bad deal. Use caution in the jewelry shop. Their prices are good, but I think better deals can be had on shore in port. I purchased an Invicta watch at a watch sale....465 dollars MSRP, which I paid around 139 US dollars. Amazon had the same watch for 80 US dollars. I still feel the price was ok...but I could have done better. However, I am pleased with my purchase....the staff there in the jewelry store, and all the shops as well, were very knowledgeable,nice and helpful....all around, a good experience.

Pools- This area got crowded quick, especially on at sea days. We would get up early (traveled with another couple), grab our deck chairs, and eat in shifts...it worked out. There were the usual chair hogs, or CHOGS as I call them. I noticed one day at sea, there were 10 chairs tied together with towels. I timed them as being empty for over 2 hours...no one using them, with one person watching them. Someone must have complained to the pool crew, because they approached the one person, who very promptly gave the crew an attitude. Please, if you are a CHOG, and you are approached by the crew, don't be nasty to them...they're just doing their job....its you that are breaking the rules. They will wait 45 minutes before moving your stuff...just don't be a CHOG.

Debarkation - 2 options. You can vacate your room in the morning and try to exit the ship with all your luggage, or...you can pack and place what luggage you do not need for the last morning outside your door between 6pm and 11pm, and have it waiting for you when you debark. We choose the latter. We were given tags for our luggage, which we did place outside our room. We were given "zone" numbers for debarkation...and we kept what was essential for getting ready the next morning with us in the room...ie, clothes, toiletries, etc. The next morning ,we vacated our room and went to breakfast. Our zone was called to disembark at 10:30. We got off the ship, grabbed our bags, went through customs, was transported back to the airport, and got through security there before 12 noon....which I thought was pretty good. I'd recommend doing the zone debarkation If you do not have an early flight to catch.

I think I've covered just about everything. My only dislikes were the rude people on board...not the crew, but the passengers. Like the woman who had her deck chair turned sideways and when we asked if she would please move so that we could put a couple of deck chairs there, she said, "No, I'm here...I was here first, and I ain't moving." There's no cause for that. A French speaking family, although they couldn't understand us, clearly understood the issue and graciously moved over so that we could slide in a couple of deck chairs. Spoiled Americans....and I'm American, so I can say that.

Lastly, thank you Carnival, and especially the Captain and crew of the Breeze, for making our first cruise a very enjoyable and unforgettable one....we were spoiled by you. We are already planning our next one!! Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Breeze Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Breeze 2225

We choose an interior cabin. This being our first cruise, we knew we would not spend much time in the cabin, except to sleep. I was pleasantly surprised as to the size...larger than I expected. The bathroom was also larger than I expected. Very comfortable (the bed slept so good) and always clean...kudos to our cabin stewards!! Great job by them.

Island Tour

Probably our favorite port. Our plans were to shop a bit, then go to a beach. Shopping took a little longer than expected, so we opted to take a 2 hour island tour on an open air party bus. It was 20 US per person. Made several stops, including a bathroom/snack break at a local convenience store. The bus stopped at California Lighthouse and Palm Beach, if you wanted to swim...beautiful, stark white, powdery sandy beach. We were pushed for time at this point, so we skipped the beach. Still, a nice way to see the island. It surprised me as to how arid a climate Aruba has....I was expecting a lush, green tropical setting...not so. Its very dry. Reminds me of Arizona surrounded by the ocean.

If you are shopping for jewelry or watches, I recommend Sean Jewelers, https://www.facebook.com/seanpauljewelers ....ask anyone where it is. Very good prices and service...By the way, I get no kickback. They're just good people.

We opted to just do our own "walking tour" of Willemstad, Curacao. Very beautiful place....lots of shopping and eateries. The "Walking Bridge" was really cool...not like anything I have seen before, and there are several draw bridges where I am from. Heavy Dutch influence here. I would recommend walking across the bridge to the Dutch side...use the ferry service if the bridge is open for shipping traffic. This stop was my wife's birthday...we had planned on having a nice birthday dinner for her and watching the sun go down. We were told, by a crew member about a certain restaurant. When we arrived, it was having some kitchen problems. Luckily for us, a staff person from Scampi's was there to guide us to their restaurant. We were served our drinks....first drinks were free...that's right, free!! Unheard of!!. We both ordered Surf and Turf...nice filet and shrimp. Expertly and perfectly cooked. This is an open air restaurant with a perfect view of the sunset, and our ship, The Carnival Breeze in the background. Extremely courteous staff. Highly recommend this place for your evening meal in Curacao...you will not regret it. As the sun goes down, the ship lights up....spectacular view!!

Read 503 Curacao Reviews

Very nice island, but not much to do except catch a ride into Cockburn Town. There are excursions, I know, but I didn't want to spend the money. I did like the port center...I understand it was built by Carnival. Good business move. Everything you need is right there. Especially like the Margaritaville, since I am a Parrotthead. Would have liked a little more time for exploring.

Island Tour

(3)

Small island. We took a taxi to Cockburn Town. Not much to see there...a few local rum bars and eateries if you like to try local food. The port center is where we spent most of the time. Plenty of shopping there, and the largest Margaritaville in the world. I had a "Cheeseburger in Paradise"....always good food. The beaches are nice, but can get crowded quick...especially if more than one cruise ship is in port. There is also a John Glenn/Mercury 7 display there, as John Glenn splashed down near Grand Turk after being the first American to orbit the earth.

Grand Turk is nice, but probably my least favorite port of this cruise....and I'm sure there is more to see than I saw. Just not enough time....

Altos de Chavon

(3)

Would have liked a little more time to explore here, but I do understand the ship's schedule. Our excursion was Altos de Chavon, with a side trip to the La Flor Cigar Factory. The cigar factory was very interesting....Altos de Chavon, not so much. It was a totally fabricated (old Spanish/Italian)village with shops and restaurants. The shops were lacking in product. We did have a nice meal at Onno's Bar...really liked that part. Our guide wasn't the best....all he wanted to do was brag about how Elton John sang there in the amphitheater several years ago....I might would have liked it better had our guide been better. I wish we had taken a city tour.