Most expensive vacation ever - but worth it at twice the price: Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by AndynBrenda
Overall Member Rating
Most expensive vacation ever - but worth it at twice the price
Destination: Western Caribbean
Embarkation: Port Canaveral (Orlando)
+Cleanliness; there's a reason that Disney isn't a part of any stomach flu epidemics. The crew went to extra lengths to keep things clean given recent outbreaks on other cruise lines based out of FL.
+Dolphin & Sea Turtle Adventure in Grand Cayman - our kids may never forget it - pay for the full swim adventure vs the simple encounter - getting towed & pushed by those creatures was amazing.
+Chacchoban Ruins in Costa Maya - added some education to the trip, and were greeted at the final pyramid by some spider monkeys - was also a nice place to get some authentic & cheap souvenirs.
+Cozumel Submarine More tour with Atlantis - how many people ever get to go in a sub? & we were lucky enough to see a 4 ft shark , some lionfish and a stingray among many other common fish.
+Cozumel Beach Party at Playa Mia - OK food, great pool for each age of kids, amazing inflatable "obstacle course" out in the ocean, & a staff that held regular games & came around with iguanas & parrots to hold
+Petting, feeding & snorkeling with stingrays at castaway cay
+On Board: Kids area... on "at-sea" days, the boys would've stayed all day
+Food in the nightly restaurants: a lot of people say to pay for the extra meal & go to Palo or Remy - when I can get the kind of quality that the main dining offered & spend the time with my family, I don't see why I'd pay the upcharge
+Shows: 3 were great; 2 were mediocre; One was trumped by the SuperBowl on the jumbo screen on the pool deck
+BYO Alcohol... saved a few dollars with my own rum, & yet still enjoyed the not-too-outrageously priced drinks in the bars & wine at dinner
+Spa & exercise area - can't say enough good about the staff & the equipment - I wish it had 2x the space.
- Pools - if you want a relaxing poolside vacation, go to resort, not a cruise; All the pools are glorified bathtubs.
- Midship in the evening: elevators are a waste of time from 6-9 nightly; If you're not in shape to climb 3-8 flights of stairs several times daily, plan to fight for elevators... I used the stairs to "earn" some extra desserts.
- Buffets at midday: effectively feeding a family of five in Cabanas can wreck your day; go early/late or not at all
- Evening Meal Servers: this is hit or miss... ours missed badly this time - but they were very polite, & once the dining area is 90% empty, keeping your kids under control isn't too important.
- "fireworks at sea" is Way overrated - the pirate night theme is cute for the kids, though
- Aquaduck & Characters lines: lines to remind me about what is wrong with a Disney World vacation... bonus is that you'll happen onto enough slow times in 7 days that you can avoid even these lines
Bottom line: if you go, do it right; Go on Disney, get the room on floor 6 or above (os you can see over the lifeboats), buy what you want, do what you want, go on the excursions you want & forget about prices; you can always make more money... if you try another cruise line & skimp it may be the worst ~$1000 you ever tried to save Less
Cabin review: 8102
Shower is great... bring clothespins for the clothesline - wife loved the soap & shampoo; even left her Aveda stuff in the suitcase. Bed was insanely comfortable. drawers are well thought out. Room Attendant can make or break it - ours made it.
This cruise exceeded our expec...
Small Ship - Great Crew - Love...
The Excellent and the Not-So-E...
Tortola, St. Thomas and Star W...
Disney Fantasy Review by Princ...