Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by jennyprovo

Norwegian Sun
Member Name: jennyprovo
Cruise Date: February 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
The Sun is a great ship

I will start by saying we had a wonderful cruise. This was our first cruise over 7 days and I can say I love the longer cruise.

Since we were at the port early (we were there by 10AM), there was no line in we were in group 1. Check in was a breeze. There was a wedding group that boarded before us but we were on board before by around noon. In time to get some lunch in the Four Seasons MDR. I always look forward to the Batter Fried Fish.They always try to guide you to the buffet but because of Cruise Critic we know better. No lines at the MDR!! After lunch we wandered around the ship until our rooms were ready. We had balcony room 9213. We were delayed a bit from leaving port but no problem as we were officially ON VACATION!! Our luggage had arrived and it was time for dinner. We ate at the Seven Seasons MDR. It was busy and they asked if we wanted to share a table, otherwise we would have to wait for an available two top. We opted to share a table with two other couples. It was a nice dinner but this was the only meal that we shared with other guests. My least favorite part of other cruise line dining is the group dining.

Since this was a 10 day cruise we had plenty of time to dine at the various venues. Most of our other cruises we didn’t really utilize the fee based dining. This time we had Sushi, Italian and French. Each of these meals were very good.

Most of our breakfasts and lunches were from the buffet sitting outside at the Great Outdoors. We did have one meal in the MDR. It was good but I just liked sitting outside to eat.

I have to note since the buffet is so small on the Sun there seemed to be a lack of variety vs other NCL ships we have been on. Especially the Indian food. We always look forward to this on the buffet but on the Sun there was only one choice at each meal vs the two or three on other ships.

Public Areas

The pool area of course is always very busy. I didn't even try to get a chair here. That is OK with me. There was always a chair available on 12 or 13 forward. The pools are a pretty good size. There were not a lot of kids on this cruise so we didn’t have to worry about tons of kids in the pool.

There are lots of bars and other places to sit inside. The Observation Room in the front of the ship is a nice venue that that doesn’t seem to be utilize for many activities. It is a great place to read during the day. It never felt overcrowded anywhere on the ship.

I love that there is promenade deck that goes all the way around the ship, as not all the new ships have this. Great place to walk or run. I also used the fitness center. It is a good facility.

The spa is pretty small compared to other ships but we did go massages. Very friendly staff and not too bad of an upsell on their products.

I would have to say that the entertainment on the ship was just OK. The singers in the production crew were not the greatest. Someone said on a previous review that the blonde girl sounded like she was screaming the whole time, and I would have to agree. The dancing was good. Their shows were entertaining but just not as great as on the Star or Gem. I enjoyed the comedian. I was disappointed that he didn’t do an adult show later at night on one of the day like I have seen on other ships but he was funny. I was a little leary of TerranceB the Hypnotist. I caught the end of the 7:30 show and then we decided to go to the 9:30 show. It was actually pretty good. I am not sure I believed it all but it was entertaining. I was pleasantly surprised by Paul Pappas the pianist. When I saw that it was a pianist I thought oh how boring. I was completely wrong. I would say this was the best show of the cruise. Very entertaining and he keeps your toe tapping. We did not see the ventriloquist or the acrobatic duo so I can’t comment on those. We did spend a lot of time in the Windjammer listening to Gu Fidelis. He sang cover songs and some originals and played his guitar. He was very good. We went to some of the nightly game shows in Dazzles, as always these are entertaining. I do have to say that some of the game shows it was hard to see everything going on as it was packed every night and the show are not elevated at all. I didn’t particularly like the Calypso band that played by the pool everyday. Just not my thing I guess at least not everyday.

Crew/Staff

This is where the Sun shines :-) Their crew is the best. The Captain Goran Blomqvist seems to love his job and the ship. Brian Walters the hotel director was also great. We saw them and their staff around the ship all the time. Always with a warm Hello!! Richard Matic was our cruise director. While a little cheesy at times, him and his staff were fun and kept us entertained. Our room steward was great (Jinesh Joseph). A little too chatty at times but always wanted to know how our day was going and if there was anything that he could get us. He had only been sailing with NCL for two months and didn’t know any English before he joined. I was amazed at how good his English was. I really like that all staff no matter what they are doing say Hi as there walking by. And it is usually not just the cursory HI they really seem to be happy to be there and happy we are sailing with them. These people are why the Sun consistently ranks as one the best mid size ships.

Disembarkation

Disembarkation was a breeze. Our flight was until 4PM so we were not in any hurry. We picked the last time slot and were off the ship by about 10AM. They started the disembarkation at 8AM and we were the last group getting off the ship. Everything on schedule. Customs moved very quickly. The taxi area was a little disorganized but we were on our way by 10:30 or so.

Summary

Overall this was a great cruise. Loved the ship and crew. Of course it would have to be really bad to make any vacation bad but that is just me. I would definitely sail the Sun again.

Publication Date: 03/14/14