MSC Divina Cruise Review by TheConsort: About What I Expected

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on MSC Divina Eastern Caribbean Cruises

About What I Expected

Sail Date: January 2014

I must stress this is NOT an American style cruise, so to compare it to one would not be altogether fair.

I realized going into this cruise that this was an Italian cruise line and having been to Italy I expected the service to be indifferent at best. To my surprise the service was very much on par with any other cruise line and ship I have been on and I have been on many: NCL, RCL, Celebrity, and Carnival. The big difference is the drink service, on the Divina you are not hounded by waiters to get another drink. If you wanted a drink while on the pool deck you needed to go to the bar and get one. I found all the bartenders friendly and attentive. There were a few workers (Eastern Europeans) that seemed tired and "over it", but most seemed happy and all were friendly.

I think the ship is beautiful, of all the ships I have been on I would rate her beauty second only to the Celebrity Silhouette.

On sea days the pool decks were very crowded, but the rest of the More time the public venues seemed under-utilized with the exception of the theatre which was packed every night. The theatre shows were entertaining and quality of the dancers/singers was as good as if not better than what I have seen on other ships.

Speaking of entertainment, there were two cover bands on board from Lansing Michigan and they were far more entertaining than the other musicians that performed in the various venues throughout the ship. I hope MSC took note of that and plans to do it more often.

One very disappointing entertainment venue was the piano bar, the couple that performed there almost every night of the cruise never once played the piano and most of their music was recorded and they sang along.

The food was good, not great, but good. The Buffet takes up about 1/3 of the deck and if you can't find something you like then it’s says more about you than it does about the food. The lunch buffet was by far the most expansive and I would imagine this is by design so you eat in the other venues for dinner.

We ate at one the specialty restaurant Eataly. If you are familiar with Eataly then you know to expect a sidewalk cafe style ambiance and not a Morton's style of ambiance. Once again, you are on an Italian cruise line, not an American cruise line. The other Italian style specialty restaurant looked more elegant in that it had linen tables clothes etc.

I used the spa, like most cruise ship spa's the massage I received was just so and the price was on the high side. Something I found quirky is the layout of the sauna's and the lack of frosted or smoked glass. A few ladies got an eyeful of men by accidently walking into the wrong sauna. There were signs asking that you not be completely naked, but that does not make sense in a sauna.

Embarkation was a delayed because the prior cruise was a charter (Holy Ship) and it took some time for the workers to dismantle some of the stages. This delay prevented passengers from using the main pool the first day of the cruise.

Disembarkation was simple if you just wanted to walk off the ship, but the 7:00 AM departure time for this was too early for me.

All-in-all I like the ship and the price we paid for a 9th floor baclony you just couldn't pass it up, but I still prefer Norwegian's Freestyle concept better. Less

Read more MSC Divina cruise reviews >>