Celebrity Century Cruise Review by robtulipe: It was like we were on two different ship even though it was the same

robtulipe
Member Since 2006
6,802 Posts

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Eastern Caribbean Cruises

It was like we were on two different ship even though it was the same

Sail Date: February 2014

We were on Century two months prior to this cruise for a 15 night Hawaii cruise and couldn't believe the difference between the two and how terrible for us the recent cruise was and how good our prior Century and X cruises were. It was like we were on two different ships. In fact if this had been our first X cruise we would never consider doing another cruise with them and can see why reviews can be so varied. Different on board experiences results in vastly different review possibility.

The select dining was not very good on board which we had heard was due to staff shortage The service was extremely poor in the sector we were seated in three nights in a row. Often our water glasses weren't refilled. One evening two of four at our table didn't have satisfactory entries, the infamous rib eye steaks, and after over half an hour without the waiters checking back we simply walked out to get something else at the Island Cafe and have our dessert.

Also at the brunch on More last full day on board we were seated upstairs and the waiters there, who were the same ones who had provided us with poor select dining service, weren't clearing away the dirty dishes and we had to finally ask for this be done in spite of the fact they had plenty of time to chit chat with some guests.

The pool grill service wasn't very good. Staff simply waited until did you reached the head of the line for your order instead of asking down the line for orders from those on special diet that didn't just include the precooked beef burgers and hot dogs. Special orders like turkey and veggie burgers, that we needed, required 15 minutes cooking so this could have be started earlier if these orders could have been placed while one was waiting in line.

Wi-Fi internet billing we experienced on board was horrible with online time intermittently not being applied to our internet packages. Internet cafe staff simply stated that they couldn't do anything about this problem and we had to ask for a credit when this occurred. I thought I had solved this problem by turning off all of my tool bars and update features on our laptop as the internet billing was OK for two days after this was done. This happen again early on disembarkation morning and I had to take care of this as we had an cash account that had been settled the night prior to have an zero balance that would allow me to disembark without a hold up. We had this happen to us once because of a few dollars billing error.

Same laptop computer worked fine on all prior cruises it was on including the Century Hawaii cruise two months ago.

Afternoon tendering in St. Barths was very slow as it was being done very inefficiently for the return of most passengers to the ship. Even though there were hundreds of passengers lined up outside in the rain, the tenders were being loaded only to 3/4 capacity or with 65 instead of their 90 passengers capacity. Security indicated that the swells were to high to load more but it was one of the more calmer tendering seas of our 43 cruises. I took pictures to show how calm it was. In fact we were tendered into Grand Cayman the week before from the Ruby Princess and the seas were rougher but the Princess tenders were used to capacity.

I was separated from our group of 4 when the count reached 65 and when I indicated this to security officer, his stern reply was that our group could then wait for the next tender and proceeded to offer our seat seats to others in line. I told the others to go without me and then watched the tender leave with the top deck completely empty. I got back to the ship and since I had bought two bottles of wine on shore was told by security that I would have to check these in but there was no one to do this with. After being told several times that I had to wait for someone to come to do this even though I indicated the wine was to be brought home, which I did do and not for on board consumption they finally allowed to board with them since after about 5 minutes after that statement from me as there was still no way to turn them in.

One of our OBC due us from X didn't show up on our account by day three. I followed up with guest services, even printing out the supporting documents, which was a chore to do because of compatibility problem with the old Windows XP computers that are outside the internet cafe, thus using 15 minutes of our internet time to do so. On our previous cruises I was able to print document from our laptop by adding the onboard printer as an option to our computer. I was able to add their online printer but it would not do the printing even though it indicated this was being done. Two days later we still hadn't heard back re this so again had to follow up with guest services. They said HO had simply confirmed the OBC we had already received from our TA and Celebrity so they would have to send another inquiry to them. By day 7 of our 8 night cruise I still hadn't heard back so I again had to F/U with GS. They did credit us that OBC from the ship's account since their HO still hadn't responded to teir inquiry. As I mentioned before we had an cash onboard account as we are Canadian and had $US to settle our account and even if we had done it as a credit card we would have lost out on the exchange service fees if the OBC wasn't issued to us while onboard.

I also had to follow up many times with the service desk re an on board shop pricing error that we hadn't received the credit for before it was finally resolved.

Also the port stops were good except for DW and friend being on the Grand Turk Island Tram tour that was suppose to be exclusively for our roll call group. They had to take the bus in spite of them arriving early for the open tram they were suppose to be on since Doug the owner of Island Trams was hawking our tour, seemingly at a higher price then what we were to pay, to the Carnival passengers as their ship had arrived a hour or two before ours did.. I'm glad that I did my SCUBA diving excursion instead of doing this fairly boring tour as the flamingo weren't on the island due to cold recent weather and it's a pretty barren desert island according to DW.

We had a good time on St. Barths having walked to see the planes land at Gustav III airport, then to Baie St. Jean beach and even walk over to see and have a quick swim at Shell beach south of Gustavia. Many from our ship reported getting the impression cruisers weren't welcome by many of the locals and I heard this before about this island. Possibly the rich and famous don't like cruise ships visiting here. We did not experience this and it may have help that I do speak French as that was my first language as a child as the working people in the shops and on the street we interacted with were very nice to us.

In San Juan we just did our usual walk about and got some soda for the balance of the cruise at the CVS on La Marina St across that road from the cruise piers. Also pick up some very cheap Coconut and regular rum at Duty Free store in the Pier 4 terminal even though our ship was at the pier next door. All one has to do to access that pier's duty free area is to show a cruise card.

I have to say our cabin steward, Dijoy, was wonderful, especially the one day, the first full day on board, a sea day, as I was isolated to our cabin as I was unwell the first night on board but that cleared quickly so I was out and about by the next day. We did put in a comment card to GS praising his great service and friendly manner.

We were so disappointed with this cruise that we decided to take a break from X. We were going to book our next X cruise while on board but are now doing an RCI one instead. I have to admit another factor that now comes into play is with the low Capt's Club credits you get, unless you're in a high end suite, we are much better off now going for Diamond Plus status instead of Elite Plus. Same goes for our Princess Capt's Circle status

In the future X will be now the third cruise line, after checking out Princess and RCI, we will be looking at for our cruises. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century 1017

Our cat. 10 inside was fine with plenty of storage space and cupboards

Island Tour

(1)

DW and friend were booked on the Grand Turk Island Tram tour that was suppose to be exclusively for our roll call group. They had to take the bus in spite of them arriving early for the open tram they were suppose to be on since Doug, the owner of Island Trams was hawking our tour, seemingly at a higher price then what we were to pay, to the Carnival passengers as their ship had arrived a hour or two before ours did.. I'm glad that I did my SCUBA diving excursion instead of doing this fairly boring tour as the flamingo weren't on the island due to cold recent weather and it's a pretty barren desert island according to DW.

Scuba - Certified

(4)

Good dive but coral reefs are showing signs of damage possibly by being over dove.

Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

For our stop in St. Croix we walk to the nice beach near Sandy Point south of Frederiksted, which took about 15 minutes. There were a few small coral heads there with some fishes around them if one wants to snorkel. After we walk back to town and had some local beer on shore.