Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by julieg3: Pros and Cons

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Pros and Cons

Sail Date: February 2014
Embarkation: San Juan

We traveled with a group of 9 ranging in age from 9-74, during New York's February vacation.

Pros:

1. The people working in and running the children's program for our 9 year old were wonderful. They worked tirelessly to make the Fun Factory welcoming even with very few children.

2. All common areas were clean at all times.

3. We stopped at 5 ports on a 7 day cruise, which allowed us to see many places in a short time.

4. St. Croix, St. Kitts, Grenada and St. John were all beautiful and well worth seeing (I did not tour Dominica and we spent the day in St. John instead of St. Thomas, so I can not comment on those places).

5. Our beds in the staterooms were comfortable. I do not know about the cots in the suite.

6. The excursion in St. Thomas, to snorkel in Trunk Bay, St. John, was beautiful. There were many fish to see and the reef was marked, as this is a US National Park.

7. The shows on the ship were excellent More for all ages in our group. My daughter is a gymnast and very interested in theatre. The acrobats spent a long time with her, answering all of her questions. They were wonderful on and off the stage.

8. The at sea brunch was excellent.

Cons:

1. It was very difficult to get to our veranda with our son's bed open. I can not imagine how tight it would be if there were 2 children in the room with us.

2. My father had a serious medical problem and was in need of a doctor. When my mother called, she was told it was the doctor's day off and a nurse would call. The maître d' had to call them and inform us that the doctor did not get a day off on a cruise. This could have had terrible consequences for both my family and other passengers.

3. There were very few teens, so my older 2 kids did not enjoy the teen program. They were bored at night without other teens. They tried the teen program on several occasions, but even though It was a very busy week for cruises, this ship had very few.

4. Our 9 year old left his Nintendo 3DS gaming system with its games in the cabinet in our stateroom. We called the number on the luggage tag as soon as we realized, which was before the ship re boarded for the next cruise. The woman told us we could not speak to anyone in Puerto Rico, go back to the ship or get it back. She told us there would be substantial charges to try to reach someone and that if we could reach someone, they would not allow us to get it back, even though we knew exactly where it was.

5. Customer service at lost and found was rude, nasty and condescending.

6. The lost and found supervisor, who we finally reached more than a week after returning home, informed me that if I did not want to deal with his representative, I should take my things off the ship with me.

7. It took daily calls for over 2 weeks to get a required for emailed so that we could file a claim, with the insurance we bought through Celebrity, for the now missing gaming system.

This was a multi generational trip. The ship was clean and comfortable. The food at the buffet had something for everyone. The pools were clean, but there were more seats needed in the shade. My sister loved the spa. Drinks were good and wait staff was very pleasant everywhere.

Due to the medical problem, lack of children and treatment by management, I can not recommend this line. Even though the medical issue was cleared up by the maître d, the situation could have been catastrophic if he did not see my distress and immediately offer his help. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 6083

Our cabin was fine. It was small, as cruise staterooms are, but the bed was comfortable.

(5.5)

We took a water taxi to the beach, where we went tubing and snorkeling (with our own gear). It was amazing. The water is crystal clear, warm and inviting. Tubing was so much fun. We paid about $10 per person for it and everyone loved it. You can tell them to go faster or slower, depending on how adventurous you are. We found a living sand dollar in the water, which none of us has seen before. Well worth going!

Read 357 Grenada Reviews

This was my favorite port. We took a taxi to the beach that the crew recommended. I am sorry I do not remember what it was called. It took about half an hour to get there, but it was well worth it. We found starfish and conch living by the reef. We rented chairs and umbrellas and just relaxed on this beautiful beach.

St. John Snorkel/Sail

(5)

We took the "All inclusive Trunk Bay Snorkel" excursion. Trunk Bay was stunning. The reef is marked, so while snorkeling, you can see what some of the coral and some of the marine life are called, and they are abundant. Keep in mind there are no chairs there, so if you have a hard time getting on and off the ground you might want to reconsider this. There is also no shelter, which wouldn't matter, except that it poured while we were there. Neither of these things would in any way lessen my decision to do this excursion again. There are not showers so you can head back to the St. Thomas ferry clean.