Celebrity Century Cruise Review by robtulipe: We were so disappointed with this cruise

robtulipe
Member Since 2006
6,902 Posts

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Eastern Caribbean Cruises

We were so disappointed with this cruise

Sail Date: February 2014

WiFi internet billing was horrible with online time intermittently not being applied to our internet packages. Internet cafe staff simply stated that they couldn't do anything about this problem and we had to ask for a credit when this occurred. I thought I had solved this problem by turning off all of my tool bars and update features as the internet billing was OK for two days after this was done. This happen again early on disembarkation morning and I had to take care of this as we had an cash account that had been settled the night prior to have an zero balance that would allow me to disembark without a hold up. We had this happen to us once because of a few dollars billing error.

Same laptop computer worked fine on all prior cruises it was on including the Century Hawaii cruise.

Afternoon tendering in St. Barths was very slow as it was being done very inefficiently for the return to the ship. Even though there were hundreds of passengers lined up outside in the More rain, the tenders were being loaded only to 3/4 capacity or with 65 instead of their 90 passengers capacity. Security indicated that the swells were to high to load more but it was one of the more calmer tendering seas of our 43 cruises. I took pictures to show how calm it was. In fact we were tendered into Grand Cayman the week before and the seas were rougher and the Princess tenders were used to capacity.

I was separated from our group of 4 when the count reached 65 and when I indicated this to security officer, his stern reply was that our group could then wait for the next tender and proceeded to offer our seat seats to others in line. I told the others to go without me and then watched the tender leave with the top deck completely empty. I got back to the ship and since I had bought two bottles of wine on shore was told by security that I would have to check these in but there was no one to do this with. After being told several times that I had to wait for someone to come to do this even though I indicated the wine was to be brought home, which I did do and not for on board consumption they finally allowed to board with them since after about 5 muutes there was still no way to turn them in.

One of our OBC due us from X didn't show up on our account by day three printo I followed up with guest services even printing out the supporting documents, which was a chore to do because of compatibility problem with the old Windows XP computers that are outside the internet cafe, thus using 15 minutes of our internet time to do so. On our previous cruises I was able to print document from our laptop by adding the onboard printer to our computer. I was able to add their online printer as an option to our computer but it would do the prining even though it indicated this was being done.Two days later we still hadn't heard back re this so again had to follow up with guest services. They said HO had simply confirmed the OBC we had already received from our TA so they would have to send another inquirery to them. By day 7 of our 8 night cruise I still hadn't heard back so I again had to F/U with GS. They did credit us that OBC from the ship's account as I mentioned before we had an cash onboard account as we are Canadian and had $US to settle our account and even if we had done it as a credit card we would have lost out

I also had to follow up many times with the service desk re an on board shop pricing error that we hadn't received the credit for before it was finally resolved.

I have to say our cabin steward was wonderful, especially the one day, the first sea day, I was isolated to our cabin as I was unwell the first night on board but that cleared quickly so I was out and about by the second sea day. We did put in a comment card to GS praising his great effort and friendly manner.

Also the port stops were good except for DW and friend being on the Grand Turk Island Tram tour. They had to take the bus in spite of them arriving early for the open tram they were suppose to be on. We had a good time on St. Barths having walked to see the planes land at Gustav III airport, got to Baie St. Jean beach and even saw Shell beach. It may have help that I do speak French as that was my first language as a child and locals did pick up on my Cdn dialect .

We were so disappointed with this cruise that we decided to take a break from X. We were going to book our next X cruise while on board but are now doing an RCI one instead. I have to admit another factor that now comes into play is with the low Capt's Club credits you get unless you're in a high end suite we are much better off now going for Diamond Plus status instead of Elite Plus. Same goes for our Princess Capt's Circle status

In the future X will be now the third cruise line, after checking out Princess and RCI, we will look at for our cruises. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>