“PLAIN AWFUL!! ”
Cruise review of Norwegian Gem

Bella1984 Norwegian Gem 1 PLAIN AWFUL!!
Bella1984
Member Since 2014
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

Where do I begin?.... First off, this cruise just downright awful! This was mine and my husbands honeymoon. He has been on cruises before and had great experiences, however, this was my first time cruising. We thought it would be a great idea to cruise so that we could visit 4 different islands and also experience great food and the nightlife. Well....things did not go as planned. To start off, We wish we were told this was a SENIOR CITIZENS CRUISE!!! We swear at least 75% of the people on board were at least 65 years old and up!!! Either that or families with crying children. Don't get me wrong, we understand cruises are geared towards everyone and families aim towards cruises, but there was a family whose child was crying the entire time we were trying to have dinner in the Garden Café(buffet), they did not even try to calm the child down...it got so bad we had to move to the other side of the room! That's the LEAST of our complaints though!

The people barely spoke English and didn't understand us for the most part. The food selection was of very low quality....just like BBQ that's been sitting out all day. Food was the same day in and day out and the taste was poor. We got sick of the buffet and were forced to pay extra for the better dining(which was fine with us). There was NO order in the buffet room causing people to act as though they were cattle! Pure chaos!

Our cabin was a disgrace! Filthy carpets, balcony was filthy...wrappers, cigarettes and fake finger nails floating in the water ON the balcony...we couldn't even sit out there and enjoy the day it was just so gross to be around that filth! It felt like we were in a cheap motel right off the local highway! We came home from dinner one night to find that our bed was completely soaked...must have been from the air conditioner above the bed. We called twice to have our bed remade only to wait around for at least an hour. The second time we called they said they thought we originally asked for soap because my husband used the word "soaked" to describe the bed. The people's English was so bad we had to spell out the word "WET" to them so that they would understand us. It was like we were not even in America! We speak perfectly clear English so it was not on our end.

Anyway, the energy level on this cruise was seriously non existent! The people were all very old...I mean old... like wheelchairs, canes and walkers everywhere you looked! This is not my ideal, nor many other people's, honeymoon envision. All the shows and music was geared towards the seniors.

While outside at the pool we had to hope and pray that they played music from this day and age...everything was from the 50's! I heard them play Kesha( and I hate Kesha) but got excited when I heard one of her lame songs come on. Honestly, the only good part about this vacation was us stopping off at the islands and the time we had together...thank God we like each others company!

I would NEVER EVER recommend this cruise line to anyone I know, and I feel bad for those who had the same experience as we did.

Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Gem Review
Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?