Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by hdlenz: 5 days isn't enough time on this ship

hdlenz
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

5 days isn't enough time on this ship

Sail Date: March 2014

We sailed on the Liberty of the Seas for the 1st time. We have sailed on RCCL before. Our prior sailings were on the Sovereign of the Seas, The Enchantment of the Seas (twice) and the Explorer of the Seas. We have also sailed on Carnival as well.

The Liberty is a beautiful ship with so much to do. We had wished right away that we could stay on longer. The entertainment options were plentiful and fun and we enjoyed each and every night.

The Saturday Night Fever production show was AWESOME! We got there about 25 minutes early to secure seats up front and it was worth it. The Ice Show was also fantastic and not to be missed!

Embarkation was rough. According to RCCL, the Federal budget cuts have impacted the Customs process of clearing the ship. We witnessed this both in embarkation and debarkation. Having cruised many times in the past, the amount of time it took for the ship to be cleared was excessive. If this is the trend, it would make sense for the cruise More lines to adjust their timelines for these processes since they know that there is no way boarding will begin at noon and that the last passenger off the ship will be closer to 11:30 than 9am.

We purchased the beverage package for the 1st time. Because we have cruised before, we had a good idea of what our bill was going to be and financially, these new packages seemed to make sense for us. However, once on board, the logistics of the package were not conducive to how we travel. With these packages, you are allowed to only get one drink at a time, and that includes bottled water. If I wanted a frozen drink and a water, I could only have one or the other. Or, I had to wait a few minutes before they could scan my card again.

Also, we sometimes like to get a bucket of beer and bring that back to our room with us so we can have a beer and sit on our balcony. You can not order the buckets on these packages. Even though we had the premium package, some of the wines and champagnes were not included. The days in port, you do not get your money's worth with these packages because you are off of the ship all day. The servers and bartenders have obviously taken a hit on their tips with these packages and it shows in their service and enthusiasm. Overall, we would have spent the same amount of money on our bar bill and had a more enjoyable experience if we did not get the beverage package. We will not purchase this option on future sailings.

We had My Time Dining and ate in the dining room 3 out of the 5 evenings. Again, with the way gratuities are pre-paid, I have to think that is what is impacting the spunk and personalities of most servers. We always have enjoyed interacting with our servers, but there was something missing this trip with that experience.

The food was decent - we never left hungry. We ate in the Windjammer one night and that was a really good choice. There was a huge selection of dishes to choose from and we enjoyed that. One night, we just went to Johnny Rockets and that was great!

One weird thing that RCCL does is that they set up one of the studio areas for formal portraits right outside of the dining room. It made for a very congested space as folks were waiting in line to get their pictures done and then others were waiting in line to get into the dining room. With a ship that size, you would think there would be more than enough room to stage the photos elsewhere. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas 9586

Our cabin was 9586 and it was clean and spacious. Our cabin steward, Alex, was fantastic. Could not ask for better. We were cruising with friends in the cabin next door and Alex opened the divider between our balconies for us and we had a huge area to relax on. The bed was not the most comfortable, but it did the trick. The linens were crisp and clean.

Canopy Zipline

(5)

My husband and friends did the zip line/cave tubing excursion and enjoyed it. I took advantage of the in port spa special that day and enjoyed the quiet ship. I met them in port after their tour and there really isn't much their other than a few bars and several Diamond's International stores. Doesn't look worth it to leave the ship if you do not have an excursion planned.

Cave-Tubing Adventure

(2)

Took a cab to Margaritaville and then walked around and did some shopping. We had been to Cozumel on previous cruises and decided to take it easy this time.

Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews