Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by tzjy1j: Book excursion for Dom. Repub!!! Other ports are clean & safe.

tzjy1j
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Carnival Breeze Southern Caribbean Cruises

Book excursion for Dom. Repub!!! Other ports are clean & safe.

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean

This was my 2nd cruise, both with Carnival. I thought the embarkation process was much faster and more organized this time. We had a balcony room and it was big enough to feel comfortable for a week.

The ship itself was fine. There were plenty of entertainment options, but I got bored with them by the end of the cruise. After 8 nights on the ship, you hear the same songs at every bar, the same jokes from the piano man, see the same people, drink the same drinks, etc. It would be nice if there were more evenings at port so you could enjoy some new nightlife once in a while.

The food was OK. Nothing special. Dinner was sometimes cold, but our waiter made up for the crappy food by bringing us multiple meals so we could try everything. The appetizers were usually good, but the main meals were disappointing. Chocolate melting cake was the best dessert and the only one worth splurging on every night. Guy's Burgers was worth waiting for. Other buffets were just OK. The More italian restaurant was free for lunch and better than anything on the buffet. The BBQ place was only open for 2 hours at lunch and the food was cold.

We never checked out the entertainment in the main theater, but the comedy club (Punchline) was really good. Much better than I was expecting (I thought it would be cheesy jokes). Get there early though, it filled up fast.

The live bands in the Ocean Plaza were really good. I wish they would have had bands on the lido deck too. Some of the parties were OK, but people didn't dance much so they played too many line-dance songs to try and get people out on the floor. I would have preferred that the Liquid Lounge didn't allow smoking inside. It was OK on the first night before people realized it, but afterwards it was too smoky. We never went to the casino because of that either. Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Breeze Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Breeze 6438

The room itself was comfortable and had good storage. My biggest complaint was being woken up at 3:00 a.m. every night from something being cleaned on the boat. I couldn't tell if it was deck chairs being dragged around below us or the pool being cleaned above us, but EVERY NIGHT there was some loud banging and screeching noises that woke us up.

Jeep Tour

(5)

Aruba - We booked a Jeep tour, which was a good way to see the whole island. You don't get to stop long at each spot, but you didn't need much time to see everything either. It's a small island and you can get a good feel for it from the tour. We had time afterwards to eat lunch and do some shopping on our own in town.

Curacao - Beautiful!! Very walkable, tons of shopping, safe, clean. We took a cab out to Mambo Beach which had more shopping and bars along the boardwalk. Then we came back for dinner in town and bar-hopped back to the boat. You don't need an excursion here. It was a pretty island to explore easily on your own.

Read 503 Curacao Reviews

Grand Turk - We went here on our last cruise and did a stingray excursion (worth it), so this time we just spent time on the beach before heading to Margaritaville. The island is small, not much for shopping or a "downtown" area, so the beach and Margaritaville are the main attractions. 7 hours was enough time to explore.

La Romana, Dominican Republic - DO NOT leave the ship unless you book an excursion to someplace nicer, like Punta Cana. The bus will take you to La Romana and drop you off at a flea market where vendors will hound you relentlessly to buy their cheap crap. I don't like to haggle or be pressured into buying anything. I want to browse at my own pace and shop where I feel comfortable. These guys were too in-your-face for me. I even heard that they put a necklace on one lady, without asking, then made her pay for it when she didn't even want it. Even if I would have liked to shop, I couldn't stand being there more than 2 minutes. We tried to walk around and explore the town on our own, but it didn't feel safe. There were guards with shotguns standing outside every bank. Most businesses were closed and ones that were open looked run-down, poor, and disgusting. We only spent about 30 minutes in town before hopping on a bus back to port. From there we got another bus ticket to the town of Altos, which was much better. It was pretty, clean, and had better shops and restaurants. You only need a few hours to see the whole place though. We were back on the ship early. This was the only port that I felt like it was a wasted stop. I wish we would have booked an excursion to make it worth it.