Star Princess Cruise Review by Den53: Hawaiian Cruise 2/18 - 3/5

Hawaiian Cruise 2/18 - 3/5

Sail Date: February 2014
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

We decided to do the Princess package of the hotel and transfers. The hotel was the Marriott. The room was good and the transfers started about noon. I probably could have saved a few $$ by doing the arrangements myself but this was much easier. Our flight was delayed by 5 hours due to weather so I am glad I used this package.

We had a Caribe deck balcony and now I am totally spoiled, it has a large deck that is half covered.Our Room Steward, Arvin, kept the room very clean. Actually. he made several stops during the day as we noticed the bathroom counter was always wiped clean of any water drops. If he saw us coming down the hall he opened our door for us. He made sure all of our requests were met. The first night I asked for a top sheet, when he came back with it we had already eaten at the Horizon and were in for the night. I said I would take care of it and he seemed flustered. He was very consciences.

We had great weather through out the whole trip. It was cool More and somewhat choppy the first 2 days but going back it wasn't.

The ship looked a little tired but it is scheduled for dry dock. The staff was great, they smiled and greeted you.

There were several activities each hour to choose from, it was like a 3 ring circus. There were times I wanted to do 2 things at once. The shows were shorter than the last cruise we were on but they repeated them 2 or 3 times a night. I think this is better because more people can enjoy them plus you could see more per night.

We took 2 excursions and rented a car the other 2 islands. The Pearl Harbor/City tour was fine but I wished we could have seen more of Pearl Harbor. On Maui we had a Whale Watching excursion, it was a packed boat and people kept standing up and moving from side to side. If they would have sat still they could have seen more. It would have been better to arrange a private smaller excursion, but I was wary of the weather so I stuck Princess.

We ate at the Horizon, the Grill. Pizza, MDR, International Café and once at the Pub lunch. The Horizon was a typical buffet but the food was fresh. There was a server, Nico, that was stationed at the pastry counter in the AM and the vegetarian counter for lunch and dinner. He was always in a good mood. He greeted everyone and asked How you were. If you responded and asked him he said he was "Fantastic" . He made our day.The Grill and Pizza were opened 11-11, they also were good. The International Café was nice but it was hard to find a seat, sometimes we sat at Vines. The Pub lunch was a big disappointment. They only had water or you had to order something from the bar. The MDR was nice. Everywhere were dessert and they were small enough that they didn't look fattening!! The cookies at the International were the best because they baked them right there.

My husband took The Ultimate Ship Tour, he was really impressed. Several people backed out so only 4 took the tour. What was slated for 2 hrs became almost 4 hrs. They took them all over the ship, behind the scenes where only the crew can go. The had a picture session with the captain, chef, the bridge staff, etc. It was $150 but that evening a package was delivered that contained a $90 robe, a chef apron, a pad of stationary with his name and the photo session pictures.

All and all it was a great trip, the staff hoped we would be back and they would be in Alaska next season. Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>