Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by qasnw1

Member Name: qasnw1
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
See More About: Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Cabin flooding disaster, pathetic response

Our 17 night cruise on Radiance Of The Seas was ruined by 5 days of flooding in our stateroom (caused by plumbing problems). During this time we had limited access to room facilities whilst a number of inadequate attempts were made to try and solve the problem. This ruined our once in a lifetime Cruise which had been arranged to celebrate my wife’s retirement. During the five days the smells and airborne dust/bacteria resulting from attempts to dry the carpets with an air blower caused itching/sore eyes and throat. This was made worse when some form of disinfectant was used to disguise the smell. I asked that the Medical officer be informed as I was worried about the effect on our health but there appears to have been no action taken.

I paid numerous visits to the Guest Relations desk to complain and was told that there was nothing more that could be done owing to all staterooms being occupied. On the evening of the 23rd February I arranged a meeting with the Guest Relations Manager and advised him that the situation was so bad I was considering leaving the ship at the next port of call (Melbourne). He told me that he was not aware that the problem had occurred for so long as it had only been reported/logged on the computer system on the 21st February 2014. I explained the actual diary of events which is as follows :

19th Feb – We reported wet carpets and damage to one of our bags (left on the floor) to our stateroom attendant. The maintenance department was called and an air blower was used to help dry the carpets. This caused a foul atmosphere and we noticed our eyes/throats were irritated. The settee was moved to give better access to the carpet but this effectively blocked off the room and we had to spend nearly all of our time out of the stateroom. This was probably a benefit as it would have been impossible to use the room because of the high volume of noise from the air blower.

20th Feb – The problem occurred again but with more flooding than before. As with the day before, the air blower was used without any attempts being made to try and find out where the water was leaking from. Again we had restricted access to our stateroom. I complained to staff at Guest Relations staff but they said there was nothing more they could do.

21st Feb – Same problem again. I visited Guest Relations twice and told them I wished to make a formal complaint. I told them I was worried about the airborne bacteria/smells resulting from use of the air blower and was told there was still nothing they could do other than to arrange for the carpet to be changed? I asked for the Medical Officer to be informed as I considered the attempts to solve the problem were causing a health hazard. As expected, the carpets were not changed, which is just as well because the water leakage problem had not been solved. We had restricted access to the stateroom.

22nd Feb - Same problem again. I visited Guest Relations and complained again as the situation was worse. In addition to the carpets being soaked the toilet/shower area was flooded and we need to wear shoes to enter. It was like a paddling pool. The air blower was operating and there was some form of disinfectant being used which irritated our eyes/throat even more. We had limited access to the stateroom because of the air blower and settee which blocked off the room.

23rd Feb - Same problem again. Complained to Guest relations in the morning and asked for a meeting with the Guest Relations Manager. This was arranged for 8.00 p.m. During the meeting I was told that someone was leaving the ship on 24th Feb and that we would be moved to this room in the afternoon/evening. A 30% discount off our next Cruise was offered as recompense for the “inconvenience” we had suffered. I consider this to be totally inadequate.

24th Feb – Our luggage/belongings were moved to the vacant cabin and we moved in at 8.00 p.m . As a matter of interest, we were appalled at the condition of the balcony. It was dirty, stained and had loose paint peeling from over the balcony. Still awaiting a response/apology from Royal Caribbean

Publication Date: 03/12/14
More Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews

More Australia & New Zealand Reviews
Great Holiday Down Under!!! Long...
Volendam