Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by alhamn

Member Name: alhamn
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Canary Islands
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

First and last with NCL.

Major bad: (besides my shool-english.)

1. Food was far too often uneatable for me. But only in the 2 main restaurants (Garden/windows) Steaks and fish I often left on the plate. Service had it ups and downs.Sometimes food was cold, when it reached my table. Tried to get cream to my dessert-cake. "Sorry, we have no cream", was the answer from the tired waiter In the simple, and a bit too popular, self-service Raffels dishes varied from ok to excellent. The 3 pay-extra restaurants I tried, were not bad, but not in level with free restaurants on, for example, Costa Magica. The service in the main

2. Dirty windows. Most were dirty when we got on the ship. All were very dirty after 9 days. The windows on observation-deck could easily have been cleaned at sea. My glass-wall in my cabin I cleaned myself. And also the glass-fence on my balcony. Balcony-floor had the same untouched dirt for the whole cruise.

The ship: Beatiful from outside, and still more in the atrium. It´s asian past is preserved very tasteful. Childres pool-area funny, with possibilties for parents to sit watching a bit over it. Main pool-area standard design for this size of ships. Don´t expect tu run on the short jogging-track. One third of it is so narrow that overtaking was impossible. For walking it´s ok. The gym was small, but in very good condition. In some places the ship felt larger than it was. But when the waves cames sideways it felt like a small ship.

Cabin: Soundproof. Not as big as NCL state. Only 16m2. A bit depressing and worn look. (Very far down from that we had in Eurodam, HAL.) Clever design. Beds ok. But if possible, bring your own pillow. The one you get is cheap, non-ventilating synthetic. But the deep sofa/extra-bed spoilt the cabin. Too deep to sit in, And gave no place for a small table.The bath is ok for a half-fat (like me). But I think a full-fat wish himself to another ship. Coffee/thé in the cabin. Bedlamps more design than function. The balcony is a bit too shallow (115 cm).

I did not see many of the shows. What I saw varied from awkward bad up to world-class. (hmm? I mean in a small world.) The music-artists around the bars and stages, I liked more than in any previous ship. I say, they saved our cruise.

The "Free-style"-dining/lunch concept surprised me very positively. As a pair, you could choose sitting alone, near other pairs or share table with, in our case, english-speaking diners.

PS. My suspicion is that NCL get the ship full of new and old passengers by selling cheap fly/sail-packages in mainly England and USA.

PPS. We had a terrible guide i Casablanca. And in the end he begged for tip.

Publication Date: 03/12/14