MV Santa Cruz Cruise Review by AngelinaTopf: My Trip with the Santa Cruz

My Trip with the Santa Cruz

Sail Date: February 2014
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Other

I would like to share the experience of my trip to the Galapagos with you. I bought a cruise with the ship Santa Cruz. It was a last Minute offer including flight for “only” 1300$.

Now to the cruise: When I arrived at the Galapagos Islands I was picked up from the airport by bus and my luggage was brought to our cabins. We took a small boat to our ship and started our day with a welcome cocktail. As far as I can remember we had lunch directly after that. The food during the whole trip was great (thanks to the cooks). For breakfast and lunch we had a buffet and for dinner a four course menu.

Later at the first day we went for our first visit to the islands. We saw many, many iguanas, sea lions, birds, etc. it was great! (We had to take care not to step on them.) Unfortunately, it turned out that we would see the same animals everyday over and over again. Of course, we saw giant tortoises at the Darwin station as well and smaller tortoises on some of the More other islands. But that was mainly it. Still, we had a great time, seeing awesome beaches and landscapes. No matter how great the visits of the different islands were (we visited Isabela, Fernandina, Santa Cruz and Floreana), the snorkeling activities topped everything by far. We snorkeled nearly every day one or two times for about one hour. (If you are not used to cold water you should rent a wet suit. Since I am used to swim in the even colder North Sea it wasn`t necessary for me. Still, sometimes it was really cold.) The second day we snorkeled between bunches of turtles. We even could have touched them easily, but we weren`t allowed to. The other days we were swimming with different kinds of fish (I would tell you their names but I just don`t know them), sea lions and penguins. All of that combined (but no turtles) we saw on our last snorkeling trip. It was one of the best experiences of my whole life. There were soooo many fish around us of soo many colors of all sizes. It was stunning. Also huge sea lions and even some sharks.

Back from the Islands to our ship: On the ship were people of all ages, but mostly older people and many couples. However, there were some younger people as well (25-33 years). Another highlight on the ship was the Jacuzzi. Between the different activities I enjoyed to relax there and to glimpse at the sea or to look at the stars during the night (you could see them great).

To the weather: It was really warm (ca. 25-30º C. sorry I am bad with Fahrenheit. Just look it up.), sometimes even too warm during the walks on the islands. This was another reason why the snorkeling activities were a nice change. They were a nice cooling-off.

To sum up, I would recommend everybody to make the same experiences on Galapagos Islands. I personally would book the exact same trip again, with the same cruise, the same travel agency, and the same people on the ship. (You guys were great. Thank you!) Less

Read more MV Santa Cruz cruise reviews >>