Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by pinaw

Member Name: pinaw
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Singapore
Destination: Asia
See More About: Mariner of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Asia Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Rest and Relaxation

I've just read another review from a fellow Aussie who must have been on the same cruise as us that went to Bangkok and Vietnam.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise because our main aim was to relax and choose to do as much or as little as we wanted. Some of the points that we agreed with was the smoking from the Casino was awful and we tried to avoid it at all costs. We also found that manners were quite lacking in the Windjammer Cafe from fellow cruisers who seemed to think everyone had to get out of the way for them. I don't think they even know the meaning of queuing or not 'reserving' seating, despite it being announced almost 3 times before every show began. There was one family in particular that would hog the front seats night after night and 'reserve' the seat for all his family members. Some dear friends that we met on that cruise went and sat in some of these 'reserved' seats and this repetitive offending cruiser told them 'You go, you go', but our friends stuck to their guns until the rest of his jokers family arrived .... quite a long time later!! What made it even worse was the fact that there was a staff member present who saw all this going on and didn't intervene!! I must admit that we dubbed this man who ALWAYS reserved the front seat as 'Yugo' everytime we saw him on the ship. We tried to arrive early to get a balcony seat just so we could be amused with everyone scrambling for front row seats .... sometimes this was more hilarious and entertaining than the show.

We didn't enjoy our shore excursion - Ho Chi Min City Highlights - and I don't think many of the others on our excursion did either. We seemed to go around in circles in the city as we were always passing the same buildings and running into the other cruisers who were on different trips (supposedly) but we somehow managed to always be in the same places. We thought it was a complete waste of money and wouldn't recommend it to anyone to do.

We did enjoy the cruiseship itself and we were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a balcony stateroom which we thoroughly would recommend. Being able to walk out and sit down in the balcony area and watch the world go by and listening to the sound of the ocean was fantastic!!

I was also a bit annoyed when I went for my spa treatments (something I really only do when I go on holidays as a treat). I had a facial the first night on board and a manicure the following morning. The facial was ok but definitely NOT worth the $174 that it finally came to and the lady was always trying to sell me something ...."oh it's only $128 dollars" ..... yeah sounds cheap if you say it fast!! The morning of the manicure, the manicurist had seasickness ..... (the boat was hardly moving, so I'm thinking it must've been something else) ... anyway, twice she had to leave .... I would've thought there would've been more than one beautician on board who could do a manicure. I was the only person there at the time and they certainly weren't busy. This was disappointing (although I felt sorry for the lady).

We met some fantastic friends on board the ship of all nationalities, and I think this is what we enjoyed the most. The most annoying was all the 'reserving' of seats whether it was in the Windjammer Cafe or at the shows with no one doing anything about it.

The entertainment on board the ship was great (apart from watching Asians trying to outdo each other for seating). One night we went upstairs to listen to a muso who was a no show and it was ages before anything was even announced that he was sick.

Considering there were 3173 people on board the cruise I was expecting it to be always overcrowded, but this was not the case. The only overcrowding was at the buffet with people jostling for food - hilarious!!

The staff were all nice and our room attendant Maha was a real gem. Also our waiter Mohamed and his assistant Lily were fabulous too and it was sad to say goodbye to them.

We had 4 other fantastic people we shared our dining table with every night and we all got on really well and it was something to look forward to at the end of the day as we'd get together and chat about what we all got up to during the day.

The booking in process was really fantastic considering the number of passengers that embarked. The only slight comment was the taxi queue at the end of the trip but that was to be expected.

We would both like to do another Royal Carribean cruise but not in Asia... this was common sentiment amongst a lot of the fellow Aussies aboard ... mainly due to the rudeness of other fellow passengers. Oh and the jostling around the sale tables was a sight to behold too. You would be taking your life into your own hands if you attempted to get near the table. People were buying basketfuls of the stuff ... unbelievable really .... we left our shopping for Singapore where it wasn't quite to cut throat.

Royal Carribean, we LOVED our relaxing holiday and we had lots of stories to bring home with us and tell family and friends ... both good and bad ... but mainly the positive ones.

Publication Date: 03/12/14