Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Jami

Member Name: Jami
Cruise Date: January 2007
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Legend - Western Caribbean
My husband and I just returned from an 8 day, 7 night cruise to Panama, Costa Rica and Belize on the Carnival Legend. The ship itself is decorated ridiculously! It's decor features golden urns EVERYWHERE, tacky light-up signs and too many mirrors! I was not impressed with it at all. Our room was had a balcony and was very comfortable, though. the bed and the sheets were great. At the end of the cruise, they offer the passengers to purchase the bedding and even the bed! All new, of course. We passed on the purchase- seeing that the prices were insane.

Where do I begin? Well, for starters, my husband and I are in our 30's...let's just say I am glad that we went with a large group of young people. The ship is definitely catered to an older crowd. The entertainment was boring (except for the hypnotist that was there for one night and the Newlywed Game). The shopping was great. My husband and I purchased diamond rings for great prices! The casino was fun, but it was probably the most smokiest place I have ever been in! And I'm a smoker! Medusa's Lair, the nightclub, was a fun place. It opens at midnight, which is a little too late to my liking. Great music, though.

Down in Satchmo's, there is an incredible band that plays there every night. They can play and sing any song! I didn't get the chance to speak with the lead singer, who is a woman. I wanted to tell her that her voice was incredible. You can't go wrong going here. They open around 9 p.m. or so. Don't miss them!

The drinks were very reasonably priced. Drink specials are a daily thing. The wait staff at the Lido deck pool were awesome!! Two of the guys were named Darius and Iynoman. They were both the best! Iynoman was such a great waiter, that he actually remembered our card number after the first day we met him. All we had to do was ask for our drinks from him and he'd have them there for us immediately. I will miss the two of them. If any of you happen to meet them, you will understand why we enjoyed them so much.

Our excursion was in Costa Rica. We did the train, boat and banana plantation tour. I was amazed by all of the poverty in the area. Our tour guide was great. I enjoyed seeing what it was like to live here. I felt terrible for the children who would come up to the train and beg for money, though. The boat ride was fun. We saw sloths, howler monkeys, cayman and some exotic birds. Well worth the trip. This was the only rainy day that we had. And it didn't even last for more that an hour or so.

Panama was scary. When we arrived, just looking out of the boat, you could se what a crime-ridden place this is. PLEASE stay in the safezone surrounding the ship- if you are not on a legit trip with the ship. Our friends decided to be brave and go off the beaten trail, so to speak. It ended up being a very scary trip for them there. People were trying to get them in their cars and sell them drugs. fortunately, they got back safely...but regretted what they did. Just stick together and don't talk to anyone. Do your shopping and don't be extra friendly to anyone. Men were running over to my husband and I asking us for money and rides. I would never go back there.

Belize was beautiful! We did the private island excursion. It was a beautiful day. Played beach volleyball and had some incredible barbecued chicken, rice and beans and rum punch from the locals. Loved all of it. We used the free floats to relaxing in the water. The beach had sharp shells and not the sand that I had hoped for, but it was a nice day, regardless.

This was my first and last cruise. The boat rocked for what seemed like forever. It was hard to even stand up in the shower some days. Overall, this wasn't my best vacation I have ever had. The food on the ship was lousy. It ended up feeling like the school cafeteria by day 3. Same old breakfast every day and overcooked meals in Truffles. The Golden Fleece Supper Club can not be beat! It was the best meal that I have ever had. It's only $30.00 per person and the service and food are incredible. Don't miss out on this place! Make your reservations a day in advance, though. It books up quickly.

I had my hair done and my husband had a foot,leg and shoulder massage at Helen of Troy Salon. They were very nice and it was alot of fun. Lots of different salon services are available. Great prices and specials when in port, too.

Make the best of the trip. We ended up being down at the pool 90% of the time. Thank goodness it was great weather. We would have been bored silly if it had rained. All of our friends felt the same about our trip, pretty much. It's too bad that it has deterred us from ever going on a ship again. Oh, and one last thing.. the crew tries to get you to get your picture taken every 5 minutes. The prices for the pictures were outrageous and the staff was very annoying. Don't bother with this. The background were lame and old-fashioned. Waste of money!

Publication Date: 01/30/07