Rotterdam Cruise Review by scotty410

Member Name: scotty410
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Rotterdam
Destination: Asia
See More About: Rotterdam Cruise Reviews | Asia Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Rotterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Rotterdam Deck Plans
We renamed ship the Sorrydam

My wife and I renamed the ship: "Sorrydam." Second HAL cruise, last was the Ryandam, was five start service expected the same on the Rotterdam...let me tell you, it is not the line but ship culture that make it all worth while.

Too many sanfus to list... We had Cabin 1882, the air was off at check in, room was very hot, very hot, 3 days and several phone calls...before someone from fornt desk came with a electronic themometer...to confirm we were telling the truth...very hot. The maintenance man came and stood on our chair, with his dirty shoes on and removed the vent cover. He found AC was completely turned off and open it up full. Now it cooled good, but my wife develped cough that lasted for two weeks, I got an URI, that required $200 visit to your ship doctor. I complained to front desk sup, Jo Jo Santos, no action. Wrote 2 page letter to the Captain, no acknowledgement to date...been almost 2 months. Then I wrote email to Seattle Hqs...next thing hammering and sawing and and all behind the walls... problems cleared up. I asked the Captain in my 8 point letter..did Holland ever do study, see if certain cabins had more people go on sick calls or not. As above, no reply to date.

"Sorrydam." All we got were sorriest no action. First day my wife was discriminated against in the Lido,by both the staff and the supervisor, Eddie. My wife is Asian. She asked them for some "Fish Sauce" before I arrived and was not told not available. I asked Eddie for it and told same staff person who told her no, to go get it.

No one helps you there, if you are in wheel chair either. if you need one for a week, but rent for the whole cruise, at about $30 a day we were told, wife got inflamed tendon...we purchased a chair next stop for 125.00 US.

Most all the experienced passengers, Engalnd, Australian, Asian and US....had complaints.

My wife and I, had dozens and dozens and dozens of complaints about this ship, the front desk and many others.

Now we found and rewarded a few good people on the staff...Tammy Lido part-time supervisor and dinning room seating officer..we tipped him. Marlon and Michelle, drink servers...hard workers, and always smiing and called us by name...we tipped them too. Anton and Muchlafin, our stateroom guys, were the best...we tipped them well too...(32 staterooms...are you seriouus). Tim Hutchinson, sup at casino, made me feel good about losing $4,415.00...nice guy and good host. Eddie the "bar drinks" guy near the casino...big money maker for HAL, I am stock-holder. George the singer was varied and talented. The Sorrydam band was unreal...first class, supporting any and all entertainers. The Lido Turkey burger crew...excellent.

The the libarary lady and computer guy...really action people...not sorry people like the fornt desk. John on front desk, was super in action getting our delayed luggage for us and providing some temp benefits, free l laundry for 4 days and some Ts for the wife. ..only one one front desk worthy.

The front desk staff messed up my tip wrtten request and when I asked for a copy to show them, waited two to three weeks and then was told they lost it. Then there were broken pipes and resulting bad smells on our deck from time to time. Dirty brown water from time to time as they worked on the system and shutdowns. I would give Holland another chance on another ship...but my wife said never again for her. After about 30 days, my wife lost it and read the riot act the food room service guy, 51 days the order was never perfect...no matter if I wrote out tag for the door or called it in. 51 days and about 29 ports...

HAL did get us safely threw the Suez and Aden Sea and all.

Publication Date: 03/12/14