Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by shanks1265: Good cruise but the Epic was much better

shanks1265
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Good cruise but the Epic was much better

Sail Date: February 2014

We just finished our cruise on the Norwegian Getaway. Brand new ship. I had high hopes after sailing twice on the Epic. Although we had a good time, this ship fell well short of the Epic.

1. The overall vibe of the boat was not screaming "FUN". Even members of the crew who had been on the Epic said they felt it was a bit boring and lacked the "Wow" factor.

2. Norwegian completely ruined the Bliss Lounge. It was made smaller and they stuck in in the heart of the casino. EVERY night we stopped to dance and no one else was in there. The Bliss Lounge on the Epic was always rocking and filled with people dancing. This was one of the biggest disappointments.

3. The food was similar to an all-inclusive resort. So-So. Again I will compare it with the Epic which I felt every meal was fantastic. The Garden Buffet on the Getaway never really mixed it up or did anything special. They added to many dividers and partitions to the eating area which made it seem much More smaller and not very open.

4. Service was mediocre. Being a new ship they were not in sync. Some of the wait staff were definitely first timers. Whenever we asked anyone a question about the boat, entertainment, menu, etc.. they didn't know and would call someone to find out.

5. The pool area was very disappointing. It was not open enough. To much crammed into one area. The Epic had a big open area in front of the pool stage where games and dancing took place. On the Getaway its very chopped up.

6. Spa and Exercise areas are half the size as Epic.

I still like cruising on the Norwegian. If your older and want to gamble, try the Getaway. If you want to have a fun, dance all night vibe, then go on the Epic. It is by far a much better laid out ship, better food and a well oiled staff. Less

Read more Norwegian Getaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Getaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Getaway 11202

Great room. Huge bathroom I wanted to try a balcony room for the first time. I would not get one again. Although it had a great view, we used it very little and you could hear everyone else dragging and moving their chairs around. I prefer an inside dark quiet room.