Westerdam Cruise Review by swom: Westerdam Cabin 4166

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Westerdam Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Westerdam Cabin 4166

Sail Date: February 2014

We just got off the Westerdam on Feb 22nd 2014. It was a 7 day cruise that took us to Grand Turk, San Juan, St Maartin and HAL’S private island, (and my favorite island), Half Moon Cay.

The ship is beautiful. I really loved it. Our cabin was spectacular. It was a regular class VD balcony cabin towards the aft of the ship but had a HUGE balcony. Twice the length of regular balconies and about a foot deeper than regular balconies. We heard absolutely no noise from the stairwell, (thus the reason for the bigger balcony) and we spent a lot of time just enjoying the size of our balcony.

The food………I was disappointed. Seems like no matter what kind of beef I ordered, it was tough. The first night was prime rib and I got mine med rare, my husband got his med. His was tender and delicious. Mine was very tough and full of gristle. One night I ordered from the “every night” menu because I didn’t see anything I liked on the regular More menu and I ordered the steak….tough. I couldn’t eat it. Of course the waiter offered to get me something else, but after eating the salad and appetizer, I wasn’t that hungry, so refused. The fish was very good though. I had a couple different types of fish and it was always cooked perfectly and very tasty.

Most people did adhere to the dress code in the main dining room also.

My husband developed a cold during the cruise, so last formal night we put ourselves in a self imposed quarantine and just ordered food from the main dining room menu and had it delivered to our cabin. Surf and turf. It was very good.

Chair hogs were out in full force as usual, but you could always find a place to sit at the tables, if not the lounge chairs.

Our room steward was not very good. This is the first time that I’ve seen a cabin steward with a helper, but he still couldn’t do the job well. He actually left someone’s insulin pin in our cabin. When we got there, I saw it and thought it was a highlighter. I thought that was so nice of HAL to give us a highlighter so we could mark the activities we wanted to go to……..so I opened the pen to start “highlighting” and noticed a dial on the end and realized it was an insulin pen. When I told our steward about this, he was very shocked and took it away immediately and of course, apologized for leaving it in the room. Things we asked him to do, didn’t get done unless we actually called him and pointed it out….and nothing hard………like please sweep our balcony, there’s sand all over it from the last cruise….didn’t get done until we took him out on the balcony and showed him what we meant…

All in all, it was a great cruise. The weather was perfect and our fellow cruisers were very courteous and friendly.

Would I go on the Westerdam again??? Absolutely! Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Westerdam Review >>

Cabin review: Westerdam 4166

Excellent cabin. Twice as large and as the normal VD cabin and about a foot and a half wider. We loved this cabin.