Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by caribdiver: NCL Jewel: A Good Value
Member Since 2003
Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Western Caribbean Cruises
NCL Jewel: A Good Value
1. Background: we are late-fifties, with 30 cruises on many cruise lines and 11 cruises on NCL.
2. Review: Overall a good value based on low price, great itinerary, decent service, decent food, decent entertainment. This ship and this cruise line lacks the "Wow" factor of other lines; but the low price makes it a good value.
a. Embarkation. Smooth and fairly efficient. If you get there early (before noon) plan to wait in lines (security and check-in) for about an hour before boarding.
b. Itinerary: excellent. 4 Stops in Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, and Costa Maya. All stops were good or great scuba diving locations. Plenty of time to enjoy shore excursions or just enjoy a beach day.
c. Ship: OK. Older, smaller ship, fairly clean and public areas were decently maintained. Easy to find your way around.
d. Cabin: Good. Inside cabin was small but adequate. Cabin service was good.
e. Food: OK. (No need to spend money on pay-as-you-go More restaurants.)
- Main dining rooms were too slow. Plan on 2-2.5 hours to eat dinner. Decent variety. Most dishes were pretty good. But the time factor means food sometimes comes cold. Orders were sometimes wrong.
- Buffet was good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sometimes a bit crowded but could always find 2 seats. Most food was tasty, and there was a pretty good variety of hot and cold dishes.
- Blue Lagoon was a great place to get a snack 24/7 especially wings.
- "Room Service" was a joke. Tried to call them twice; it took 15-20 calls to get through. When I did get through the food that came was terrible. IMHO not worth your time.
f. Entertainment: pretty good; worth going to for the most part. Comedians were funny and production shows were pretty good. Pianists and bands around the ship were pretty good.
g. Value. Low prices: inside cabins were going for around $300 plus tax. At this price this was a great deal. Less
Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>
Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel 10015
Cabin was small but adequate with all necessary amenities. Cabin service was good.