Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by caribdiver: NCL Jewel: A Good Value
Overall Member Rating
NCL Jewel: A Good Value
Destination: Western Caribbean
Embarkation: New Orleans
1. Background: we are late-fifties, with 30 cruises on many cruise lines and 11 cruises on NCL.
2. Review: Overall a good value based on low price, great itinerary, decent service, decent food, decent entertainment. This ship and this cruise line lacks the "Wow" factor of other lines; but the low price makes it a good value.
a. Embarkation. Smooth and fairly efficient. If you get there early (before noon) plan to wait in lines (security and check-in) for about an hour before boarding.
b. Itinerary: excellent. 4 Stops in Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, and Costa Maya. All stops were good or great scuba diving locations. Plenty of time to enjoy shore excursions or just enjoy a beach day.
c. Ship: OK. Older, smaller ship, fairly clean and public areas were decently maintained. Easy to find your way around.
d. Cabin: Good. Inside cabin was small but adequate. Cabin service was good.
e. Food: OK. (No need to spend money on pay-as-you-go More restaurants.)
- Main dining rooms were too slow. Plan on 2-2.5 hours to eat dinner. Decent variety. Most dishes were pretty good. But the time factor means food sometimes comes cold. Orders were sometimes wrong.
- Buffet was good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sometimes a bit crowded but could always find 2 seats. Most food was tasty, and there was a pretty good variety of hot and cold dishes.
- Blue Lagoon was a great place to get a snack 24/7 especially wings.
- "Room Service" was a joke. Tried to call them twice; it took 15-20 calls to get through. When I did get through the food that came was terrible. IMHO not worth your time.
f. Entertainment: pretty good; worth going to for the most part. Comedians were funny and production shows were pretty good. Pianists and bands around the ship were pretty good.
g. Value. Low prices: inside cabins were going for around $300 plus tax. At this price this was a great deal. Less
Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>
Cabin review: 10015
Cabin was small but adequate with all necessary amenities. Cabin service was good.
Nothing Less Than Fabulous
Great Cruise to Alaska (and Ca...
Alaska was beautiful but take ...
Good Cruise, 3rd Voyage on the...