Celebrity Century Cruise Review by dwexler: DO NOT BOARD THIS SHIP!

dwexler
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Eastern Caribbean Cruises

DO NOT BOARD THIS SHIP!

Sail Date: February 2014

As a frequent cruiser (somewhere over 20 times), I have a pretty good idea of what to expect when I cruise. My standard for Celebrity Cruise line is higher after having an outstanding experience on the Celebrity Solstice just 6 months ago. And this cruise ship was much worse than anything I expected in almost every way!

It is old, smelly and a lot is broken. From the time I got on the ship I noticed odors. Our cabin was much smaller than normal, had a big brown stain on the carpet and had initials carved in the headboard, not by an artist. We asked for an extension cord and was given a cord that was spliced in the middle and wires were loose at the top. We asked for a replacement and were given one that had connectors that you screw onto a cord labeled "Made in Mexico". I do not think this is legal in either the US or the EU because it is a fire hazard. Went on deck for sail away and asked if sliding windows by pool could be opened. Told they were broken. Asked for an Amber More beer, told none on board. (Later found Amber beer one deck up.) Another person at my table asked for a Diet Coke, told they had not been brought up to pool deck yet. Left and went to get tea at the buffet, none served. Left and went to coffee/tea place on deck 6 and was told they do not have scones for tea any place on board. And that was the start of our cruise....

Buffet food is very greasy and overcooked. Good news is all passengers are allowed in the Aqua Café which has nice, healthy cold lunches. Ate in dining room every night where service took about an hour and a half to eat. Lobster was overcooked and could be mashed with fork. Everything accept for the Spa food was poor. However the Spa food was once again pretty good.

While on board, big dining room closed one morning for "plumbing problems". Sofa area on deck 6 closed where it had strong mildew odors for several days when they discovered a leak. Reserved a high tea which was cancelled but no one told us so we left the pool and dressed to find an empty restaurant. Last day was a sea day. Sea was moderately rough, nothing we hadn't seen before. But the ship rolled so badly many on board ended cruise sea sick. We survived on Bonine. Really, no reason for ship to roll so badly, suspect problem with stabilization system but will never know for sure.

Probably the defining memory will be when I was next to a couple of ladies working out at the gym. They were laughing about how bad this ship was. Nick the personal trainer came over and asked they lower their voice as they were disturbing other guests. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Snorkeling

Chukka excursions (or something like that) were great! My compliments to Captain Dan and crew. Snorkeled on coral reef that has 7000 foot drop off. Most incredible snorkel of my life. They also took us to a coral formation closer to the beach that was like a shallow honey comb full of sea life. Crew got a reef shark to come to side of the boat using bottle with holes in it full of meat so you could pet it.

Snorkeling

Buck Island snorkel is wonderful if not too crowded. Follow underwater path through a coral grotto shaped like a bowl. Incredible to see however coral grows very close to surface at narrow entrance. Too many people there when we went and some got shoved by others into coral and were scrapped up.