Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by elaineforster1

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by elaineforster1
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: elaineforster1
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Cape Town
Destination: Africa
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Africa Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Definitely more Carnival than old Cunard

This is the first cruise review I have written after approx 40 cruises with many different cruise lines - this I mention only to say I have experience in various lines and price brackets.

This voyage for my husband and I had very high expectations - we booked a Queens Grill suite and thought 'it shouldn't get better than this'...... How wrong we were.

The ship itself was in a state of poor repair with rust everywhere and beautiful viewing windows on the lower decks had their seals gone and so completely covered inside with water to no viewing here..Nowhere on the ship did the ship have a Wow factor for decor - all bland and boring. The indoor pool area was completely bland with crumbling wall areas and no decoration apart from a few potted plants...

Our suite was spacious but again not as oppulent as say on the Oceania Cruise line or the top Holland America suites.

Complete lack of tea/coffee stations around the ship. When we asked the bar tender to bring us some coffees in the Pavillion pool area deck 12 we were told we would have to go along the corridor, down 5 flights of stairs, into the buffet and bring 2 mugs up ourselves.........?????

On warm days we could lie on the Queens Grill area sun deck where you could get cold juice and water but no hot drinks. There was two waiters there Sergi and Maryna who were great but they had no access to hot drinks either apart from the buffet...

We ordered in room dining one night which we have done many times on say Oceania where they would bring it course by course when you were ready - here All at once......?

Queens Grill restaurant - All the waiters were friendly but definitely untrained as far as we and our other fellow guests discussed in Fine dining and what is expected. We were delivered our menu, another asked if we wanted bread etc and then a simple 'Are you ready to order?'. No going through the menu, recommendations etc. One day I ordered a Beef Wellington. The waiter brought the whole Wellington to the table in the pan for our inspection and taken away to presumably be carved. A few minutes later the whole thing had simply been halved and I had a whole joint on my plate with the meat on one side of the plate and the pastry on the other???? Many similar experiences were conveyed to us by fellow diners. The food was certainly not bad but it certainly wasn't exceptional either. The restaurant Palo on Disney cruise line for surpasses this and even the main dining room on Oceania cruise ships.

The Kings Court Buffet - what can I say - a total and utter nightmare. Food average, layout of the whole area confusing and absolutely felt like a canteen. It is the first time I have seen the soup placed out in just a trough next to other food items such as rice and hence you can imagine the result..

The staff on the whole in the shops were extremely rude and unhelpful - again not just my observation.

All the bar staff we came across were friendly but a lot of the bars were empty and had no atmosphere apart from the English pub which was usually quite busy.

It really is just a myth - The Queens.......... Will never book with Cunard again.

Publication Date: 03/10/14