Carnival Imagination Cruise Review by CanyonGirly: Ok For A Quick Getaway

Ok For A Quick Getaway

Sail Date: February 2014
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

My husband, along with my brother and sister-in-law sailed the Imagination to Ensenada February 2014. It was a fun, short 3 day cruise. This was our 4th cruise with Carnival, and unfortunately there were a few issues.

Air Conditioning Problem

The ship stayed in port until 2 or 3am due to a cooling issue. A previous review said it was a steering issue, but it was not. The captain eventually made an announcement during dinner and advised of the problem. The ship cooled off by morning as we headed out to sea. To compensate for the trouble, they gave everyone a free adult beverage the next day.

Faster to the Fun (NOT)

We paid $50 only to have to wait with everyone else to board, and then wait again to get to our room. The doors to the stateroom hallways were closed until 1pm. We were the first group to debark, but only after self-assist which took forever. Not worth the money. (I've read it works better on longer cruises.)

Stateroom E45 More

We managed to fit 4 adults is this room nicely. There were 2 twin beds and two upper bunks. The stateroom was clean and our steward Constantine was awesome. He kept our room clean and our ice bucket full the entire trip. Great guy! Only bummer is that the toilet wouldn’t flush and it took hours for it to be fixed. This happened on the first and second day.

Food

Not so sure I like the new menu. It seems rather limited compared to the old version. We ordered several items including the lobster, jerk pork, and steak. All were excellent. There were long lines at “Your Time” dining, but beepers were provided so we could wait anywhere nearby. The 24 hour pizza on the Lido was delicious. Quite a nice surprise!

Stink

I’ve sailed 3 times with Carnival, and this is the first time the ship stunk. The Lido deck smelled of sour milk and the hallways reeked of mildew. I understand the mildew, but the sour mild odor was gross.

We went to the adult comedy show and it was lame. The comedian made fun of race, gender, and sexuality. The material was so old, over-done and totally unoriginal.

Spa/Gym

We got a free tour of the spa and gym and I was quite impressed! The gym was big and all of the machines in the gym were modern and new. We didn't use the spa, but the facilities were very nice!

Ensenada

Because our ship left Long Beach so late, our day at Ensenada was moved and as a result, two ships were in port at the same time. The streets were pretty much full of Americans. We hopped a bus for $5 and headed downtown. We managed to get a few good deals on souvenirs, and had a blast at Papas & Beers. I was sad to see so many people begging for money. Didn’t see this last time I was in town. I guess it’s no different than anywhere else.

Overall the trip was fun, despite a few issues. I love to cruise so despite the minor mishap on the Imagination, I look forward to sailing the Magic in May! Less

Read more Carnival Imagination cruise reviews >>