Carnival Magic Cruise Review by KAO1870

Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Galveston
Dining 5+

Family Cruise

I was very impressed with the Carnival Magic. This was my 2nd Carnival cruise and my 6th cruise total. All of the staff seemed happy to be working everywhere you went on the ship. Our embarkation was delayed due to fog but the handled the delay well. While our cabin could have used more outlets especially at the nightstands it was nice. I appreciated the king sized bed vs. most cruise lines having queens as my husband is quite tall. The cabin had decent closet and storage space and the bathroom was fine. Our 5 year old daughter’s bed was the pull out couch and it was just perfect for her. Our steward did a wonderful job and was very personable. Our daughter really enjoyed the towel animals.

The dining room staff in Northern Lights was all wonderful! They cut my 5 year old daughters food for her. Entertained her, danced with her, and made her feel very special. We had Any Time dining and other than on formal nights the wait was next to nothing or minimal. The check in staff was always personable and friendly and never seemed stressed. The food in Northern Lights was very tasty with varied options nightly. We did eat in Southern Light for 2 of the Sea Day Brunches. Sadly the staff there has a lot to learn. The service was poor as was the brunch food.

As for the other food areas the buffet food was rarely appetizing and very bland. But the staff was friendly. The Pizzeria was really tasty but there was almost always a line. They really needed to add more staff to that area. The Grille was just so/so. We did not eat at Cucina del Capitano, Red Frog Pub, or the Prime Steakhouse so I cannot speak to the food or service in those areas.

The Cloud 9 Spa was nice and relaxing but as always it would be nice if the pricing was not so marked up. I was really impressed with Camp Carnival. The staff were energetic friendly and very knowledgeable. The activities varied and my daughter loved her time there. The weather wasn't great on our cruise but it was January. Honduras was beautiful and I wished we could have had better weather there so we really could have enjoyed it. Belize is nothing to write home about, I do not need to return there. And Cozumel is Cozumel. As this was my 3rd time visiting there I can say it is always clean and there are many things to do.

The disembarkation was one of the fastest I have ever been through. We were off the boat, had our luggage picked up, through customs, and to our car and out of town in less than 40 minutes. We used Galveston Park n Cruise which was right across from the port and used their covered parking. It was reasonable priced for the convenience and they had personable and professional staff.

Now the only very negative thing I have to say about Carnival is that they still allow smoking on their balconies. And we had smokers right next door to us that smoked ALL DAY EVERY DAY. Seriously I wondered if they ever left their cabin. It was awful. Bad enough that it was not worth having a balcony. Now not everyone will get a smoker next door or near them but for those that do and are not smokers themselves this is very unfortunate. Have designated smoking areas in multiple areas around the ship. But do not limit non smoking balconies only to your Spa rooms. Seriously it is 2014. Get with the times Carnival.

Publication Date: 03/10/14