Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by Mac4YYZ

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by Mac4YYZ
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Constellation
Member Name: Mac4YYZ
Cruise Date: February 2014
See More About: Celebrity Constellation Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Mixed emotions about this ship

Some thoughts on our recent 5 day cruise. Celebrity upgraded us because I noticed a significant price drop on our 2C Verandah. Since I already had a 'sweet 16' cabin I wasn't impressed when they offered a standard Concierge Class upgrade. We settled on 7202, an aft facing Family Balcony. More on that later.

Port Everglades is a headache. The construction makes it difficult to get into the port. They really should split away cargo. We had a lovely view of the fuel storage tank farm and container yard while in port. We entered what looked like a warehouse through a side door to board. It didn't add to the experience.

Once onboard we upgraded to the premium beverage package and it was well worth the extra $10 per day. Lots of choices and premium coffees, bottles waters, smoothies etc.

7202 is amazing. Huge oversized patio with loungers and a table for four with plenty of room left over. We had breakfast almost every morning on the balcony and spent a lot of time there relaxing instead of fighting for deck space on sea days.

Food was very good everywhere. Dining room service a little spotty. Shows were good for a cruise. Bands were good too. But my issue is with the overall ambience they are trying to create. I understand a 5 day will skew younger and that's fine. But Celebrity positions itself as more sophisticated and elegant. This ship feels a little schizophrenic. They try to be young and hip and come off feeling a little like Carnival. I don't mind them having some lively music at the Martini bar to up the energy level. But the deck games on sea days were tacky and lent to the 'Fun Ship' type atmosphere. If I want silly pool games and a loud pool deck I will book Carnival.

And the constant bleating from the cruise director about whether we were having a good time was off putting too. Plus his insistent harangues about filling in the guest survey for the last two days was too much.

The captain is charming and witty. The ship is beautiful. Loved the artwork everywhere, especially 'David Letterman'. Ask a crew member.

I like Celebrity for a little class and sophistication. Better food, better wines and a fun atmosphere that is a little upscale from Royal. What I don't want is silly pool games and annoying blather on the sea days. Play some music, do your zumba and maybe have an ice carving demo or something.

And finally the gym. They need to update the garage sale quality free weights. Compared to a recent experience on NCL Epic the gym was a joke.

Overall it was a great vacation despite some issues. I will sail Celebrity again.

Publication Date: 03/10/14