Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by IDoSpas: Nice but needs heated pools and more hot tubs.

IDoSpas
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Bahamas Cruises

Nice but needs heated pools and more hot tubs.

Sail Date: February 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We left out of NY for an 8 night cruise to Orlando, Nassau, and Freeport. Yes it was cold but in a few short days we where in 90 degree weather. It took 2 days to get down to Florida, during those 2 days relaxed and enjoyed the ship. This ship is very nice and our balcony room had plenty of space. The staff is wonderful, very friendly and helpful. The food was amazing, we loved every meal we had. We eat at the black pearl restaurant every night and the food was always very good. We went to 3 shows, all where fantastic.

Our only complaint about this ship is that there are 3 pools and they only heat one of them. The children's pool. Witch I am glad they at least do that for them, but if your an adult you can forget about swimming in that pool as it was always filled with children. The back of the ship is the adult area, they have 2 hot tubs and one pool. The hot tubs where ALWAYS packed with people and NO one used the swimming pool as it was probably around 30 degrees. I called More the front desk to ask them if they would be heating the other 2 pools (adult and one at the other end of ship) They said NO we never heat the pools. This seems a bit silly as this ship is stationed in NY and yes it is cold, but when you go on vacation and are on a ship with 4 days of NO ports it would be nice to have use of a pool or for that matter a hot tub maybe ad a few in the other adult areas. They do need more hot tubs on this ship that is clear. We spent a lot of money on the ship trying to find other things to do, maybe that is by design and why they do not heat the other pools for adults. We had a wonderful time, but we will not be going back on this ship and if they do the same with other ships out of this port we will not be going on any of them out of this port. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor 2969

Room was great. We had 4 separate beds. One set of bunk and two separates for myself and 3 teens. Services was outstanding.

Snorkeling

We made our own reservations on this excursion. Check out their web site. deadmansreef.com
They have lots of packages to choose from. We already had our snorkeling gear so we made taxi reservations with Eva Mitchell winker005@gmail.com She was wonderful. Met us right at the ship with a sign with my name on it. There where 4 of us and she charged $10 each one way so it was $80 round trip. It's about a 25 minute ride the paradise cove. She was very friendly and full of island information. It was much nicer then cramming on a bus with lots of people. She brought us right to the service desk and made sure we where checked in and what time we wanted to go back. If you make reservations threw their web site it is $35 per person that includes snorkel gear. The food is amazing. I think we sampled almost everything and it all was wonderful. The snorkeling is beautiful, best on the island. The only down side is the walk out, it is very tricky. My son held my hand until we passed the rocks, a lot of people had a hard time walking out but once you are out there it is SO worth it. Unfortunately the wind pickup up a lot and our snorkeling was cut short but we still got to see a lot of wild life including sting rays and lots and lots of fish. I will post pictures. If you are a good swimmer be sure to go on the out side of the reef, you wont believe the wild life out there. If it gets windy be sure to come back on the inside as you can get thrown around a bit. We would go back to stay at this destination just for the snorkeling alone. The food is very reasonably priced and you will want to taste a bit of everything so bring lots of cash ;) if you find that you need to rent snorkeling gear there is a $10 deposit and don't lose the tickets they give you.

Atlantis

(3)

This was my second time on this excursion. I love Atlantic. The first time was with my husband we we felt guilty not bringing the kids so we made sure to go back with them. Ages 15 & 20. We did the rapping river ( a must) it takes about 20-25 minutes to go around the hole thing. We also included the Snorkel the Ruins of Atlantis (very expensive almost $500 for 4 people) about 40 minutes in the tank. If you have the time and money I would do it, but we where only there from 12:30-5:00 and lockers closed at 4:00 or you get a $50 fine for late pick up. so it eat up a lot of our time so we did not see much of the park and the kids only got to go on one slid. This excursion needs to be longer for the amount of money you spend there. For the four of us to do both the park and snorkeling it was almost $1000.00 for 5 hours. I would not recommend doing it unless you have at least 7 hours. 9 pools and 9 rides needs more time to enjoy them all.

Atlantis Aquarium

Atlantis Aquaventure

(3)

Universal Studios Orlando

(5)

It was nice having transportation to and from the port, but wow was it expensive. We had plenty of time for our excursion to Island of Adventure. We actually was ready to leave about one hour before the end time so we walked back to the bus stop and thank goodness they had an early bus waiting. We slept all the way back to the port, about an hour drive. I really wish Port Canaveral offered more excursions. If you want to go to see Harry Potter village I would suggest going first thing when you get there. Make a be line and don't stop, we did and got right in. But when we bent back a few hours later the wait line was about 2 hours. We went on all of the rides, not many offered about 3 or 4. We eat at Broom Sticks, VERY GOOD. expensive but good. We got the big meal for 4 people. It came with a big salad, 4 big pieces of chicken, 4 ribs, 4 corn on the cobs, a bunch of yummy potatoes and grilled vegetables. I had 3 big teens with me and they eat a lot and we still left a bit on our plats so it's worth it. We also got the butter beer later on that day when it was getting hot and that was very good, expensive but good.