Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by NeillBeavers: Okay, but not what I expected

Serenade of the Seas 5

NeillBeavers
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Serenade of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Okay, but not what I expected

Sail Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Nassau

This ship suffers by comparison to our last cruise on the Navigator of the Seas for a 15 day cruise to Rome from New Orleans. We were greated by a hallway that smelled of mildew and at places mildly of sewage. The room was okay-we had a window view. The room service was mediocre: the attendant was slow to clean and replace ice. Left the carpet soaked with some liquid he had apparently spilled (Our last attendant on navigator was friendly and very prompt to clean and fix up).

The ship itself was not appointed well --(again compared to Navigator). Coffee and juice service was only available on the 11th deck and above. The shop area was limited and very crowded.

We like to dance and the opportunities were somewhat limited. Often the best bands were in the Centrum which has a very small dance floor.

The food in the Dining Room was somewhat better than Navigator. The service in the Dining Rooms was okay but lacked the flair we usually see on Cruise ships. One More exeception was Antonio Duval and assistant waiter from Dominican Republic. One evening we wanted to eat at an earlier sitting and were seated for that night at Mr Duval's table. He was very friendly and entertaining --with absolutely nothing to gain. He was most attentive and made our dinner with him a real joy. RC should make him a full fledged waiter ASAP-he's a real keeper.

The large scale entertainment was above average. The young Italian opera singer (Mario?) was a real superstar.

I should mention that the exit for the first shore visit was and unmitigated disaster. We were somewhat late in arriving. People were stacked up at least 2 decks trying to get off the shp. We were crammed in a hall way the was completely filled and very warm and stuffy. I don't know who planned this, but no one thought that it was done satisfactorily.

For shore visits, CocoCay was a real positive surprise. It is owned by RC. It was very clean with several modestly priced excursions. The snorkel trip was the best ever. More fish than I have ever seen in Mexico, DR, Costa Rico, or Belize). The beach cookout was fun too.

Nassau, Key West-was pretty much business as usual. The bike trip with Key Lime Bike Tours (Guide Sara Goodwin-305-340-7834) was the best excursion I have ever had there. Very easy ride.

Overall-I would rate the trip as "average". Don't expect anything exceptional. Less

Published 03/08/14

Read more Serenade of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Serenade of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: 3144

The room itself was very satisfactory. One problem was that general announcements could not be heard in the room-usually you can cut on or off the announcements, but that was not available. As mentioned previously, the attendant was slow to clean and replenish the ice supply. He also spilled some kind of liguid on the carpet and did not clean it up. Also the hallway smelled of mildew and in places smelled of sewage-although both were somewhat faint.

Did kayak trip -- was just average. The Snorkelling was great: many fish-the most I have ever seen and I have done quite a bit of snorkling.

Read 316 CocoCay Reviews

Bicycle Tour

Paradise Beach. Rode in Taxi for $4.-no problem getting taxi or coming back. Beach is okay, but there are no places to go for liquid refreshment-all the hotels are guest only.

Read 2888 Nassau Reviews