Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by RV54: 7 days of disappointment

7 days of disappointment

Sail Date: February 2014
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Singapore

The following is provided to reflect our disappointment with the cruise we have just completed ..

• We found the cabin valance (bed) surrounds untidy and dirty and the whole room was musty, obviously from the carpet which was still damp.

• Formal Night – We were greeted at the door with an attitude inconsistent with the Caribbean line standard ethos by the doorman . We were not in formal attire, but were made to feel as though we were not welcome. I submitted a formal complaint and this was dealt with by an apology over the phone in the first instance – again unsatisfactory, as the attitude of the doorman(table /seating allocator ) was abrupt, disrespectful and embarrassed all my 5 other family members in front of a number of people.

• The standard of cleanliness of the ablutions was totally inconsistent with the cleanliness experienced previously on Mariner during our Mediterranean cruise and certainly was lacking to a point where More some toilets were in fact disgustingly unkempt.

• There was total lack of ship organised activities as experienced previously on cruises , the one (1) mini golf tournament was poorly arranged, and poorly controlled, and then had an overabundance of competitors who were all treated with disdain by the sports staff, other activities were non-existent and practically everything was required to be “self-arranged” not ship arranged.

• A seven day cruise included 2 formal dress nights…!!! – hardly suitable for those who do not wish to do the “formal” thing , but then to be belittled when arriving non formal attire when formal night attire is NOT compulsory, more adequate attention should have been exercised by the staff for those who were not going the be in “formal” attire instead of making those people feel ill at ease.

• The desk clerk attending to a requirement to have a credit card authorisation amount confirmed for $1400.00 mistakenly requested a $140,000.00 authorisation, not once but 3 times …!!!! – This inept performance then failed to secure the initial authorisation, I was subsequently told to ring my Amex provider,. No apology – this then necessated me to ring my credit card company, re activate my credit card facilities. This whole matter was a total disgrace and embarrassment to me as I have used this card, without any issue, all over the world. The matter was reported to his supervisor who had to attend to this issue and secure the authorisation, but only after I had to make 4 international telephone calls to clarify his error at my expense.

• The standard of the food service and the variety of the food available in the Windjammer restaurant was like “groundhog day” an unprecedented standard not seen before on any of the previous cruises .!

• We also experienced the continual failing to provide “Cointreau” my drink of choice at all the bars, and except for the great staff attending to the Schooner Bar every other bar we visited could not provide this drink without having to be asked to make an effort to obtain it , and such requests were also met with a ’grunt’ instead of the usual Caribbean helpful service .

• On a safety note, the announcement speaker in the Cabin did not work, and a report of the matter failed to rectify it for the duration of the cruise.!!!

To say we were disappointed with the service and standards and bad manners on this cruise is an understatement, and in consideration of this we would be extremely hesitant to recommend Caribbean to any of our friends in future as we had done previously without hesitation.

This is one cruise that in our opinion could not have ended quick enough , our conversations with other passengers on many occasions revealed the same comments as we have outlined here; and I am aware that the destinations were directed at the Asian market but to remove the social aspect that westerners enjoy simply to accommodate duty free shopping centers aimed primarily at the Asian passengers left me bewildered....not to mention the absence of that doyen of social activity .. The now defunct Wig and Gavel Bar gives reality to the term " Where the ... is Alice" !!!

Ralph Less