Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by barbjd106

Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: barbjd106
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Cabins Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans
Norwegian GeRm

We were in a suite and the embarkation process was fast and almost flawless. We were accompanied to the concierge lounge on deck 13 and met Pearl Amamoto (sp?) the concierge. She gave a brief talk on what she does and then we went to our cabin unaccompanied. This is when things began to go downhill and never recovered.

We were in cabin 10002. The decor is magenta and teal and is faded. The cabin had a dark, cold feel most of the time. Although the balcony was large, we avoided spending time in the cabin. We had to keep the curtains closed at night because the room was directly under the bridge.

When the luggage arrived, we began to unpack. I was startled when I opened two drawers in the desk and someone's belongings, including cruise receipts, were in the drawer. I called guest services, and waited. And waited. Then I called again and was told that they were very busy. Finally housekeeping came and emptied the drawers. I had to ask them to use a spray cleaner to wipe them clean.

Our concierge Pearl that night did not return our call to confirm the time change for our restaurant reservation. When my husband called again, she said she was very busy!

My husband's key repeatedly did not work, causing him to wait in line at guest services. They swiped the card in their machine and proclaimed it working. To make a long story short, we had the mechanical parts of the door lock changed and still had issues for a day.

I asked the concierge to reserve the martini tasting session for me. She called and said it was not necessary. When I arrived there one half hour early, I was told I had to be on a waiting list.

Then we had issues with the bathroom. The toilet would not flush for hours. I called the desk. They said lines A and B were clogged and they were working on it. This was after someone came to the cabin to make sure it did not flush. I asked what to do - this was by now 5 am after a night without a bathroom. I was told to use the public bathrooms. Finally at 6 40 am we received a call that the line was clear.

One morning my husband was in the shower and the water turned SCALDING. He had red marks on him. Again we called, they came to check, etc. We were told something about someone filling a jaccuzzi.

When we met with someone named Alvina with regard to our room issues, she told us they were putting the 'finishing touches' on the room. I was incredulous.

The bar staff is not clear on what is covered by the unlimited beverage package. I received frustrating and conflicting information.

The gym is dirty. There are signs all over limiting the time spent on machines. However, the gym wipes are hidden and I saw one or two people seek them out to clean off the machines. No sign to clean off the treadmills, etc.

Le Bistro - we received bread that was so hard and stale we could not eat it. Moderno was the best as the meat was good. Nothing outstanding. We did not eat in the main dining room. My husband went to the buffet and liked some of the food there. Breakfast and lunch at Cagney's was good but the menu needs to be expanded.

I waited on line to remove service charges and was then told that I could not remove them until the last day. The lines on the last day were very very long. Seems they make it inconvenient so that you will not do it.

I purchased an item in the stores and attempted to return it, unopened with receipt, and was told that they only do exchanges.

The fruit selection in the cabin dwindled as the cruise went on.

I was charged $10.xx per bottle of Perrier in the cabin mini bar which I think is excessive.

After a few days, we met with the hotel director and food and beverage manager. Basically we begged to get off the ship in San Juan. After some negotiation, we remained on the ship. One of my requests was that the cabin be given a thorough, deep cleaning, which was done.

Another was a change of cabin steward, butler and concierge. Our butler told my husband that he (Jayson) should be spoken to for any requests we had. So I asked Jayson to put out our balcony furniture (it was tied up). Medard the cabin steward heard this and told me that I should ask him to do that.

The good: Fellow passengers; Moderno; trivia staff especially Leslie who did the progressive trivia; daily drink specials; walking outside on the promenade; getting off.

Publication Date: 03/05/14