Pacific Jewel Cruise Review by Mayden

Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Cabin Category: BC
See More About: Pacific Jewel Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | P&O Australia Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Pacific Jewel Review (by Cruise Critic!)
First and Last Cruise

There were a few good things about this cruise, the best part was getting back home!

Boarding at White Bay was great, taxi arrived at 11.30 and we were in our room buy 12 noon! we did get preferential boarding, which I appreciated.

Sat at the dock for 12 hours, that was not a big problem as a we were advised of a nine hour delay. I felt a message or apology from the bridge that we had to go back to port after sailing would have been a good thing. I cannot see the harm in saying sorry folks we have to go back to port, no need to give the reason that some stupid person got so drunk they had to be taken off! Just a short message saying there would be a two hour delay in departing. I could not stand any longer and had to go back to the room, so missed the sailaway.

We had room 10218, it was a nice room, and I was surprised how quiet it was. I could hear music at night, but that was expected and not very loud. There was plenty of hanging and drawer space. No complaints about the room.

We went to the Waterfront Restaurant on the first night, the meal was the worst I have ever eaten in my life. Frozen (and I mean still frozen) little prawns for entree, then we decided to share a pizza a we were not all that hungry and thought it would be a normal pizza, but no, it was a piece of pitta like bread with about two inches of something indescribable in the centre, can't remember what dessert was as it was revolting. Having said that others have said they had nice meals there, we must have selected the wrong things, but we could not bring ourselves to go back there. I did not mind the meals at the Plantation Restaurant, and ate there the rest of the time. We did go to the Salt Grill for lunch, which was quite nice for the $75 extra, but did not think it was worth going back.

We liked the shows at night, but that was the only entertainment for whole day that did not cost money. Daytime entertainment was non existent, unless you wanted to purchase art! I still do not understand this. Oh the other great things was a person dressed in a white coat, selling expensive vitamins, I cannot believe people fall for this rubbish. There was the amazing opportunity to have your footprint taken and purchase inner soles for $190. There was rock and roll advertised, but nothing going on, a couple of songs on a TV and that was it.

The tender trip out to Moreton Island was really good, rough, which gave us a little excitement. I had my own snorkelling gear for Moreton Island, but was told when I got there I was not allowed to snorkel at the wrecks unless I was on a tour!! Hello it is a beach for goodness sake, I have never known a beach in Australia that you are not allowed to swim. Again, all set up to sell food and rubbish to the tourist. The other activities like quad bike rides did look like fun.

Back on board and the pool was closed due to rough weather, OK not a problem but is there any reason you could not have put a movie or something on.

There was an abundance of drink trolleys being pushed at you every few minutes, I could not believe one even came around at breakfast one day. I liked sitting in the oasis, but hard to get a seat most of the time. Everything was run on a very tight budget, skimping and charging at every chance. I have a feeling this company may be in financial trouble or cutting back so much to make more profit.

I was not the only person who thought this, I spoke to others who thought the same. I can see how if you were in a big group and just wanted to sit and drink all day and night then it would be fine. I was bored to tears 95% of the time. Getting off the ship was awful, the cats bum woman speaking rudely to people, no information what so ever. Sat there for two hours after the time they told me to be there. I would have liked to go to the toilet but could not get to one by this stage. The corridors smelt of raw sewerage, have not been on another ship this may be the case on all of them.

Would I ever go on another cruise again? NO, not even if I was offered it for free. A total waste of money and it was not cheap. I was thinking that maybe a lot of the bad reviews the people were being too fussy as I have stayed in hotels with bad reviews and they have been great for me, but now reading back on the bad reviews they are all spot on. I can only advise to look at another company, unless you want to drink all day.

Publication Date: 03/05/14