Silver Cloud Cruise Review by Linaire: Not 6 Star

Not 6 Star

Sail Date: February 2014
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Buenos Aires

We were really looking forward to our 6 star cruise from Buenos Aires to Barbados but unfortunately it didn't live up to our expectations. The Stateroom was fine, if a little dated and we went for our first meal at the pool deck. Caesar salad with overcooked bits of chicken. Never mind the wine was good! We looked forward to Argentina steak in the evening and were offered cold tough filet steak, which was replaced with something similar. The plates were also cold and it was served with three cold chips. We heard people moaning the following morning and one chap said he had sent back 3 steaks. They did get more steaks in Montevideo and they were better.

However the food generally was of poor standard, pizza's that looked like Tesco value, very unappetising, hardly any vegetables or salad and mash potatoe offered with many of the dishes. They also offered Shepherds Pie on many occasions. The food served for lunch at the pool deck varied, one day I had a very nice Tuna mayo More sandwich on lovely brown grain bread and the next time hardly any tuna on awful bread. When I thought I would try it a third time I was told they didn't have any tuna! I had a toasted plastic ham and plastic cheese sandwich on mothers pride, which was also inedible. However the evening hot rocks was very nice, apart from allowing people to smoke as we were eating.

We tried the Le Champagne resturant which was fine apart from the lobster Thermidor, the chef had used field mushrooms and so the sauce was brown, and it was exceptionally salty. We had had a chef demonstrate in the Venetian room how to cook Lobster Themidore and the sample was delicious, he didn't use mushrooms. We cancelled our booking for Valentines night, and did have a nice meal in The Restaurant.

The terrazza restaurant was supposed to be Italian but again not to up to standard.

Towards the end of the cruise, about 5 or 6 days before we arrived they RAN OUT of tuna (tinned), bannannas, berries, granola, lettuce, tomatoes and other basic goods. Unbelievable. I could go on with more examples such as the appetisers in the bars, but am feeling depressed about it.

We did enjoy some meals but they were few, however we did enjoy the cruise because of the other guests and some of the entertainment and ports we visited. However we were very grateful there was no emergency as the Italian Captain was very difficult to understand.

Our Butler and maid were excellent and the cabin was always cleaned to a very high standard as were all the public areas. The maître'd Antonio was charming and always tried to help, and Allan King was an outstanding Cruise Director. Dr John Friedman was a superb lecturer, really enjoyed his lectures.

So I am sure your will understand we will not be booking a Silverseas cruise again or recommending to friends, which is a pity, but food is very important on a 6 Star Cruise.

Final point our cabin was very noisy especially about 3.30 in the morning shortly before change over on the bridge, I thought we had rats or birds in the ceiling.

Library too small, but the unused casino was large. Less

Read more Silver Cloud cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Silver Cloud Review >>

Cabin review: Silver Cloud 708

Very noisy especially at 3.30 to 4am when there was a change over on the bridge. I thought we had rats or birds in the walls and ceiling.