Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by codeofsilence

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by codeofsilence
Brilliance of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Member Name: codeofsilence
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Tampa
See More About: Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Brilliance of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Brilliance of the Seas Deck Plans
Mostly good

The staff and service on this ship was wonderful, and I was more than pleased with the food on board, though some folks complained. The ship is showing its age in some places... and I am assuming one of the reasons that the solarium roof was never opened was due to this.

Most of the common areas were jam packed during the day - try to find a chair on deck anytime during the day, and I wish you luck. Despite warnings everywhere that your abandoned personal items will be confiscated after 30 minutes, I never once saw this happen. So many people holding deck chairs without actually sitting in the... a bit of a sad reflection on society more than anything. Hoarding at its best.

My larger beef was with the spa - on our first night aboard we purchased passes for the termic sap (their name). On the first night I noticed that one of the two showers there didn't work... and the working shower stunk of urine, but I figured that problem would improve once cleaned. For the rest of the cruise the one shower was out of order, and the second stunk (not sure if it wasn't cleaned, but it sure seemed this way to me). On more than one visit to this spa, there were literally mountains of dirty towels all over the place, and no available clean towels. It really seemed as though nobody checked/cleaned this area. Early in the cruise I reported the broken shower and lack of cleanliness. The towel situation improved.

My larger concern with the spa was that we were told that we had access every day from morning until 10PM (don't remember the exact open time, wasn't really relevant ;). On two of the five nights aboard, including the final night, the spa was closed by 8:30PM providing us no access to this paid-for service. The second night that it was unavailable was the final night on the cruise. I attended the guest services to have this looked after, but was more or less told that I was lying about the spa being closed, and that it was open (despite us both walking up to a locked door just 20 minutes prior).

Post cruise I approached RCL about the issue, and they told me that it was out of their hands, as the spa services are all managed by a third party contractor, and that I would have to speak with them. This is what I would call the "Royal Runaround" (tm). Of course contacting that third party contractor has resulted in nothing, and RCL has done nothing about this... nor even explained why these paid for facilities are so poorly maintained.

Advice for future customers - don't pay for this service, but rather use the men's and women's steam/sauna which is located in the spa area, but available free of charge. They are cleaner and better working than the paid for equivalent... and they are free. This option wasn't offered to us prior to purchase, and most people didn't even know it existed. Look for it in the change/locker room aboard this ship. These free services are cleaner and better maintained (probably not a third party looking after them, but just guessing).

Overall the cruise was good, the entertainment on board was mediocre, but the comedian was enjoyable aboard my cruise.

Publication Date: 03/04/14
More Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Brilliance of the Seas review Read the next Brilliance of the Seas review

Cruise Critic's Brilliance of the Seas Review