Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by acbailey501

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by acbailey501
Celebrity Eclipse
Celebrity Eclipse
Member Name: acbailey501
Cruise Date: January 2014
See More About: Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Really nice trip, but....

As far as on-board service, the number of island stops and our cabin, this trip was terrific. However, it was a decidedly "old" trip, meaning almost no one under 50 was part of it. In fact, I felt sorry for the few young couples and a young family with the children, all of whom must have felt decidedly out of place. This also made for a really dull environment and turned the ship into a ghost ship after 10 p.m. I understand the timing and length of this trip would tend to limit it to those with time and freedom to take it, but it was not a vibe that I particularly enjoyed. Maybe my fault for not anticipating this, but we liked the itinerary well enough not to ask. This trip was also decidedly "dress-up" oriented, something with little appeal to me. I was definitely in the minority, though. Most people liked that there were no kids and everybody was carefully attired.

The dining room food was really excellent, the service there both impeccable and personal, and the "anytime" option seating we'd chosen was great. But I was disappointed at the lack of eating options that did not require some sort of big surcharge. Outside of the buffet and a place to get a burger, the dining room was pretty much it in terms of free choices. We tried one of the surcharged "specialty" restaurants and the food was good but not special enough to justify the add-on cost. We also tried the Bistro, where surcharge was smaller, but food was awful

Enjoyed most of the big stage entertainment, but again, there was little else to do and thus everybody attended, meaning it was always crowded and I felt like a cow being herded with walkers and canes. The need to buy overpriced water, beer, soda and specialty coffees felt like being nickeled and dimed to death, but the packages were way too expensive for anyone indulging only moderately in any of them, and therefore a bad deal financially. Am neither a shopper nor a gambler, so that part of ship held little interest, though we felt constantly exhorted to buy, shop, buy nonetheless. Enjoyed the galley tour, though, and all but one of the shore trips, which I've reviewed on Celebrity site. A private shore trip we booked through shore trip concierge was really good, so I'd recommend that if you are trying to get off on your own. One big advantage to the age of the travelers was that we had no trouble getting on active shore trips! Smokers were treated well, with plenty of designated smoking areas, most of them convenient to use. Cleanup of those areas could be improved, but at least we didn't feel like lepers. Mostly this ship was kept spotless so any empty glass or cup was overly obvious.

Overall, the many destinations, the great cabin and the wonderful service saved this trip for me from the issues listed above. But the vibe was a little "snooty" for me. I surely recommend this trip, but you should know what you are getting into atmosphere-wise and seriously consider whether that atmosphere is one you will enjoy. Plenty of people do. Many of our fellow travelers had been on it numerous times.

Publication Date: 03/03/14