Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by acbailey501: Really nice trip, but....

acbailey501
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Really nice trip, but....

Sail Date: January 2014

As far as on-board service, the number of island stops and our cabin, this trip was terrific. However, it was a decidedly "old" trip, meaning almost no one under 50 was part of it. In fact, I felt sorry for the few young couples and a young family with the children, all of whom must have felt decidedly out of place. This also made for a really dull environment and turned the ship into a ghost ship after 10 p.m. I understand the timing and length of this trip would tend to limit it to those with time and freedom to take it, but it was not a vibe that I particularly enjoyed. Maybe my fault for not anticipating this, but we liked the itinerary well enough not to ask. This trip was also decidedly "dress-up" oriented, something with little appeal to me. I was definitely in the minority, though. Most people liked that there were no kids and everybody was carefully attired.

The dining room food was really excellent, the service there both impeccable and personal, and the "anytime" More option seating we'd chosen was great. But I was disappointed at the lack of eating options that did not require some sort of big surcharge. Outside of the buffet and a place to get a burger, the dining room was pretty much it in terms of free choices. We tried one of the surcharged "specialty" restaurants and the food was good but not special enough to justify the add-on cost. We also tried the Bistro, where surcharge was smaller, but food was awful

Enjoyed most of the big stage entertainment, but again, there was little else to do and thus everybody attended, meaning it was always crowded and I felt like a cow being herded with walkers and canes. The need to buy overpriced water, beer, soda and specialty coffees felt like being nickeled and dimed to death, but the packages were way too expensive for anyone indulging only moderately in any of them, and therefore a bad deal financially. Am neither a shopper nor a gambler, so that part of ship held little interest, though we felt constantly exhorted to buy, shop, buy nonetheless. Enjoyed the galley tour, though, and all but one of the shore trips, which I've reviewed on Celebrity site. A private shore trip we booked through shore trip concierge was really good, so I'd recommend that if you are trying to get off on your own. One big advantage to the age of the travelers was that we had no trouble getting on active shore trips! Smokers were treated well, with plenty of designated smoking areas, most of them convenient to use. Cleanup of those areas could be improved, but at least we didn't feel like lepers. Mostly this ship was kept spotless so any empty glass or cup was overly obvious.

Overall, the many destinations, the great cabin and the wonderful service saved this trip for me from the issues listed above. But the vibe was a little "snooty" for me. I surely recommend this trip, but you should know what you are getting into atmosphere-wise and seriously consider whether that atmosphere is one you will enjoy. Plenty of people do. Many of our fellow travelers had been on it numerous times. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse 9253

This was a great cabin, with big bathroom and balcony and plenty of space to move around. Couch, table and desk area (with electrical sockets) really nice touches. Storage space good. Quiet. When we first moved in, we discovered a drawer that didn't work in dresser. It was fixed before we got back from our first dinner. Attendant service was impeccable and friendly. Location was excellent. Near elevators but not too near. And just about centered between eating and activity areas above and below.