Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Beachb: Exceptional Cruise

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Exceptional Cruise

Sail Date: February 2014
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

Just back from the 11 day leg of the Equinox Caribbean Central America cruise. We are Celebrity Elite Plus cruisers so we know the line well and love Celebrity. However I was frankly concerned because I tend not to like very large ships. I felt that the Millennium -class ships were the largest I would enjoy. Happily sailed many times on all of those class ships. and then we went on the "solsticized" Millennium last year and were not happy. Adding 10% more people in the same size ship does not work! But the Equinox had an intriguing itinerary, so we tried it. I gotta admit when i am wrong. The Equinox is not only beautiful, but it really works! The flow is great and you never feel like you are on a 2850 passenger ship. There are always places to find solitude away from the crowds - unless you want to be by the pool on a sea day of course. The crew was excellent, professional and welcoming. We sailed in Aqua Class for the first time and ate every night at Blu. We never ventured out More because the food was really really good! I had forgotten just how good Celebrity's food could be. Our hostess, Aurore from France, learned not only our names but our seating preferences quickly and our server, Agung from Bali was perfect. The staff in the Oceanview Buffet were always friendly and helpful and the breakfast included anything you could imagine. We had the Beverage package which is a pretty great amenity if it is included. We are not heavy drinkers, but have a cocktail before dinner, a glass of wine with your meal, a cup of expresso or hot chocolate in the Cafe after dinner, and fresh orange juice at breakfast, and you have saved a bundle!

Only negative comment: I do agree with one reviewer who noted the arrogant bartender at the Martini Bar, usually my favorite hangout. I actually asked which vodkas were under the Classic Beverage package and he said it included Ketel One. I ordered a Ketel One martini and he presented me with a bill for $13. Seems that if you have Ketel One on the rocks, it is included but if you get it "up" as a martini it is not! He said any martini - even with the cheapest vodka or gin - costs $11+svc, and is therefore off the Beverage Pkg. But he said it like I was stupid for not knowing the technicality. That was the last time I visited that bar. Having said that this jerk was the total exception. I guess Divas come in all sorts!

EVERY OTHER bartender and waiter on the ship was superb, friendly and professional. Of special note are Sebastian, the bar server from Denmark, and bartenders Devon and Sylvia. Look them up and say Hi!

Warning: If you do the itinerary that includes Colombia and Panama, the passport and Customs process at debarkation is horrendous! What normally is a 15 minute exit process took us almost two hours of standing in lines. Celebrity should have warned us more clearly, but then nobody would have gotten off the ship so I get it. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox 1522

Had an Accessible Cabin in Aqua class. Best organized bathroom I have found on any ship. The room was spacious and easy to maneuver with mobility issues.