Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by kmw.smith

Cruise Date: January 2014
Dining 5+
Shore Excursions 5+

NCL Epic

The Epic experience started with the usual check in process and then quite a long wait to embark, which we spent sizing up the other passengers!

Lifts/Elevators

We then had our first encounter with the lifts! They took forever to come to the floor and although they were in banks of 4, they were very far apart I think there was only the 2 lots. The use of the lifts and guessing how long we would have to wait for one to arrive became part of the holiday! Getting back on board after a day on shore was particularly stimulating with the lifts and there were times I thought I could see my tan fading so long did I have to wait!

Food

Excellent choice of food, always well presented and with all the choices of restaurants there was something to please everybody's tastes. Couldn't fault the food. I would complain about the availability of the tea and coffee through the day. The machines were so far away from most of the areas where we spent our time on deck. At the Spice H2O, if you wanted a beer it was close by but a cup of tea or coffee and it really was a trek to get one. It seemed that this was the case for most of the sun deck areas and it's something that NCL should look into improving. Not everyone wants to have alcohol during the day.

Sun bed availability

NCL say they have a policy of removing personal possessions on sun loungers if they have not been used for an hour or more. This cannot be policed properly and when the ship was at sea, it was a real challenge to find sun loungers. A lot of people claimed their spot and then never came back - really irritating when the space was at such a premium, even for the size of the ship - but people seem to expand, like a gas, to fill the available space!

I greatly enjoyed the experience of NCL Epic, the staff were friendly and efficient and the ship was spotless, the staterooms were always tidy and I liked the towel animals on the bed when the turn down service was done!

Publication Date: 03/02/14