Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by kmw.smith: NCL Epic

Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

NCL Epic

Sail Date: January 2014

The Epic experience started with the usual check in process and then quite a long wait to embark, which we spent sizing up the other passengers!

Lifts/Elevators

We then had our first encounter with the lifts! They took forever to come to the floor and although they were in banks of 4, they were very far apart I think there was only the 2 lots. The use of the lifts and guessing how long we would have to wait for one to arrive became part of the holiday! Getting back on board after a day on shore was particularly stimulating with the lifts and there were times I thought I could see my tan fading so long did I have to wait!

Food

Excellent choice of food, always well presented and with all the choices of restaurants there was something to please everybody's tastes. Couldn't fault the food. I would complain about the availability of the tea and coffee through the day. The machines were so far away from most of the areas where we spent our time on deck. More At the Spice H2O, if you wanted a beer it was close by but a cup of tea or coffee and it really was a trek to get one. It seemed that this was the case for most of the sun deck areas and it's something that NCL should look into improving. Not everyone wants to have alcohol during the day.

Sun bed availability

NCL say they have a policy of removing personal possessions on sun loungers if they have not been used for an hour or more. This cannot be policed properly and when the ship was at sea, it was a real challenge to find sun loungers. A lot of people claimed their spot and then never came back - really irritating when the space was at such a premium, even for the size of the ship - but people seem to expand, like a gas, to fill the available space!

I greatly enjoyed the experience of NCL Epic, the staff were friendly and efficient and the ship was spotless, the staterooms were always tidy and I liked the towel animals on the bed when the turn down service was done! Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 8024

The staterooms!I was gagging to get to our stateroom to see what all the fuss was about regarding the layout of the toilet and shower! At first glance it seems a little off putting to have the shower immediately on the right and the toilet on the left as you open the door! I did think it might feel like showering in the middle of Brighton beach but it was actually OK! There is a curtain that closes the shower/toilet area off and I can only suggest having the telly turned on with the volume up if your personal hygiene needs a little more privacy! Either that or learn to whistle!

Zip-lining

The first was a zip line! I'm not good with heights but this was amazing! The instructors were very safety conscious and you have a training run before the real thing! I can only say that if you've been thinking about doing a zip line then do it on St Kitts.

Underwater Scooter

The other excursion we did was to take a BOSS underwater scooter on St Thomas's! Safety was the big thing and the organisers were great at giving instruction on the dos and don'ts. The divers followed every inch of the way and the whole experience as great. We were in the first group and that meant that we had time to get in some snorkelling - something else I'd never done but always wanted to! All in all an excellent experience!