Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Celebrity Century Cruise Review by CAC104: Celebrity Century

Celebrity Century 5
CAC104
Member Since 2002
9,757 Posts

Celebrity Century

Sail Date: February 2014

We drove down to Ft. Lauderdale from Port St. Lucie and it was very easy to drop off luggage and park in the pierside garage. Check in was a breeze, with no wait at all at about 11:00. We were allowed to go right onto the ship and up to the dining area for lunch.

I have never been on a cruise I didn't like, and after 27 cruises, I had a good time on the Century. I enjoyed meetinga number of people who post on the Florida thread. After just sailing on the Explorer in Oct., I missed the larger size ship because this one does not have an indoor pool, and I am a swimmer. The first two days at sea the pool water was freezing and I mostly had the pool to myself (swimming off of the end of Long Island growing up I got used to cold water).

What I was very impressed with, was the wonderful way they treated Elite cruisers. The breakfasts and cocktail hours offered all kinds of drinks, not just the wine and champagne like in the Diamond lounge, and I have gotten hooked on apple More martinis Perhaps RC has changed over to this recently. Also, my coupons had some nice offers.

The food was good, and the last day at sea Brunch was amazing. Anyone who skipped this really missed out.

Entertainment was excellent and I enjoyed the shows every evening.

What I didn't like was the condition of the Persion Garden's Steam rooms. The aromatherapy room never had and scent, despite us constantly reporting this to the desk, and the steam room floor always had a film of water on a slick floor that made it very slippery. Less

Published 03/01/14

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: 9112

Our cabin was very comfortable with lots of storage. We had room service in the mornings that always came on time and we set it out on the balcony table to enjoy. Our cabin steward was attentive and kept everything in good condition. The room size is not any larger for C1 on this ship than the regular balcony cabin, whick is differnt from the Constellation where I had a larger cabin in C1 class. I don't think it would be paying a large amount more to book this class on this ship.

Grand Turk is a very dry and barren Island. The manufactured cruise port section is very nice. The large store area has lots of duty free items and I picked up my Drambuie, which I like. I took an open air trolley tour of the Island and there are no trees, only bushes. They also have wild donkeys roaming all around. The water is really clear and a beautiful color and I am sorry I didn't book a snorkel tour, but I could snorkel off the beach. Their beach area in the port looked very inviting, but the sand only went out about 4 feet into the water and then it was nothing but rocks. I didn't like that at all. My friend went diving and had lots of fish and a wall to view.

I have been to San Juan many times, so there really wasn't much more I wanted to do. The port has a free trolley service that circles between the port and various stops in old town, including the two forts, El Morro and San Cristobel.

Previously I had visited El Morrow so I was interested in seeing San Cristobel. Then entry fee for one fort is $3.00 and if you want to visit both the cost is $5.00. The free trolley stops at both. These forts are very interesting and I enjoyed touring them.

Old Town has lots of little shops and restaruants, and open air vendors. You can have a good time walking around and stopping to investigate.

Read 1593 San Juan Reviews

We made 4 port stops:

Most everyone on the ship all seemed to dislike St. Barts, and made their comments know to the cruise relations. We actually managed to have a good time because my cabin mate was such a fabulous driver and we were able to tour the whole Island with two other Floridians. Small winding roads with everyone driving on the wrong side would have been a disaster if I were driving. Biggest scare was when a plane looked like it was going to land right on us as we drove by the airport. Prices were extremely high, and the residents were really quite snooty to the cruise passengers. The weather could have been better and the seas were quite rough. We have our own snorkel gear and attempted to go in at one beach, but the currents were wicked and I was smashed into rocks trying to get back into shore and cut up my knee to where I was bleeding all over. We went into a beach side restaurant to get out of the rain and one beer, two rum and cokes, and one mojito for our little group came to 56 Euros. Talking to people back on the ship they were refused service in some restaurants if they didn't have reservations, even though there were many empty tables visable.

St. Croix was lovely and much less developed than St. Thomas. We took a taxi for $6.00 per person round trip to a hotel called Sand Castle. For $25.00 for two, we were given use of the beach and pool, two lounge chairs with a huge umbrella and two rum punch tricks. The beach was wonderful and the beachside cafe had good food and reasonable prices. I would love to go back.