Crown Princess Cruise Review by DonJuan77

Member Name: DonJuan77
Cruise Date: February 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Number: D735
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Crown Princess Review (Southern Caribbean)

We left out of Port Everglades which was extremely chaotic. I think just in our terminal there were 4-5 boats leaving. Once we got off the taxi it was pretty simple, we had priority boarding which made it that much easier. I will say that Princess has nailed it with the priority boarding if you are a platinum member or in a Suite, most other cruise's I have been on do not really have this.

Once on board we got to our room in D735 which was on the aft of the boat. The room was as small as the other balcony rooms, but the balcony was huge. The balcony is also completely covered so if you like the shade it is a good balcony to have. I probably will opt to not get an aft room again because every movement and every vibration is felt at night. Going into Curacao where it was very windy I woke up several times during the night because of movement.

After boarding, we found out that princess now offers an all inclusive drink package for $49 a day any drink on the boat under $10 is included. This includes coffee, water, and all non-alcoholic/alcoholic beverages. I found this to be incredibly beneficial and it was fantastic to pay up front and not have a huge bill that you are unsure of at the end. We went with our family of 10 and we all thought this was a fantastic idea, I am very happy princess finally rolled this program out.

The food on the boat was very good. I never had anything to complain about, and the highlight was the pizza which was absolutely fantastic. All the dinners were very good, I guess my only complaint would be the breakfast buffet, the food was the same every day and the scrambled eggs were very runny. Also there wasn't much variety of fruit at breakfast. For some reason every morning I would wake up and feel extremely bloated and sick, after laying down for about an hour the feeling would go away and It would be fine.

On board we found ourselves basically just drinking everyday because there was not a lot to do on board. We would get the patter and try to circle activities but it ended up being just bingo and trivia. I understand princess is geared more for an older crowd, but for 20somethings there is not much to do other than drink. The entertainment was just okay, the comedians were funny but having them in the explorers lounge was a huge pain because there just wasn't enough room. If you didn't show up an hour early for a show there, you would be standing in the back trying to see. Also, the fitness center was great, but needs to be opened a lot sooner and the 20 minute maximum needs to be enforced. I found myself getting very frustrated at the lack of machines available and how crowded it was.

The service onboard was great, other than on the aft bar there were a couple of bartenders who just completely hated life. We ended up finding our favorite bartender Beth in Club Fusion and we ran into Wilfredo at princess cays and ended up being our favorite bar help. We would go to the wheel house every night just because of Wilfredo.

Princess Cays was good, but again there isn't much to do on the island other than finding a chair and drinking, which is what we ended up doing. Wilfredo was fantastic and was a great bartender on the island which made it so much better.

Our second stop in Curacao ended up being my favorite stop. We got off the boat and it was very clean and a pleasant it was more of a place to walk around and shop but it was relaxing.

Our last stop in Aruba wasn't what I expected. We were planning on going to a beach, but it was too overcast and very windy so we decided to explore the island and little. Getting of the boat was a hassle, because it was a long walk to get anywhere, and then you have to walk through a gauntlet of tourist traps to finally get to the island. My dad and brother went golfing and said it was a great golf course, but extremely windy. We ate lunch at Iguana joe's which was a good place to eat, but make sure you time it right because it gets very packed.

Disembarkation was a complete nightmare. We had to do the early walk-off because of our flight and it was chaos. They had us in Michelangelo's and it was 7:30, but all they had was a path of tables and chairs and no one knew what was going on. We ended up being filed all the way back into the Casino, and the line was moving very slowly. I think there should be an easier way to do this without everyone carrying their luggage, because all you could hear from the older crowd was complaints.

Overall we had a blast, but we had to make our own fun. Like I said, the boat is geared towards an older crowd and we got to hear a lot of the people complaining about the tiniest things. If I wasn't with my family I would've been bored a lot more. I think the ships needs a few updates, the mini-golf course was very run down and hasn't been touched in a long time. It's too bad that virtual golf is non-existent because that would've been a lot of fun. As a male in my 20's and a princess platinum member I think I will opt for a younger cruise line. Princess is fantastic if you are looking for a relaxing cruise with almost no children.

Publication Date: 03/01/14