Carnival Magic Cruise Review by chanxymimi42

Member Name: chanxymimi42
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Galveston

My Last Carnival Magic Cruise or Carnival Period

This was my 4th carnival cruise & my 2nd mother & daughter cruise & my first time purchasing faster to the fun. My mother & I had a balcony the first cruise we took on the conquest, but elected to go with an inside #7212. Our friends were in cabin #7220. These rooms were very nice & quiet. My mother & I arrived at the terminal about 11 am & went straight to the holding area along with the other fttf, platinum & diamond guest & only waited maybe 30-45 minutes. Once we received our sail & sign cards, it was smooth sailing, straight to our room which was ready & waiting. My biggest complaints are def the food. The pizza in my opinion was sick. The pizza on the conquest had a thicker crust, more meat & the cheese was shredded unlike the magic, super thin crust, big globs of cheese, & the guy acted like he was scared to put sauce on it. I've never seen a thin crust pizza soggy in 0.5 seconds.

The buffet food wasn't that great & was barely hot unless you got an omelet, or caught the cheeseburgers when they came out off the grill outside on the lido deck. I never understood when in line for breakfast, why the line for french toast, pancakes, & waffles were outside. My food was cold by the time I got back in to eat. The food in the southern lights dining restaurant was better than the other places, my opinion. We actually decided to do the prime steakhouse this go around, big big mistake. My mom enjoyed the appetizer of tiger shrimp, but then the server came to our table saying bon appetite from the chef with a little tea cup for my mom & friend with something they said tasted like hot sauce with picante sauce mixed in, while the server brought my friends mom & I something that was potato confit, when it looked like a oreda tater tot with the crust gone, some kind of glaze, & 2 green stalk things sticking out of it (looked like plankton from spongebob squarepants lol). I just looked at it & hoped it didn't stare back. My mom & I ordered the prime rib, & my friend & her mom ordered the surf & turf...now the guy to my left ordered his steak med well done & when we saw him cut into his steak, blood ran all over the plate & was mooing, so we decided to order well done...big mistake...the server brought our plates & needless to say, each steak was well well well done alright, burnt, charred beyond recognition. 3 different people including the server, waitress, & manager came & asked me what was wrong & did I want something else, I quickly replied no, & look at my moms steak, it was worse than mine...then the manager brought the chef to our table & we couldn't believe he came over grinning as if he was proud of what he sent out. I told him the same thing to his face & said he ought to be ashamed for sending that out, with garnish...they offered dessert, big mistake. We ordered the molten lava cake & vanilla ice cream~I thought surely they can't mess that up...o lord, it was bitter & looked like chocolate pudding inside of 4 shot glasses...we didn't have to pay for it, which I wasn't anyway.

The ship is beautiful, but a little crowded for my taste. The lido deck seemed to stay wet. The deck parties were alot of fun, along with the punchliner comedy club. We laughed at one of the games they did on stage where 5 guys, 5 ladies had to place a coin between their butt cheeks, hold it while walking to the front of the stage, & try to drop it into a wine glass...funny. The red frog pub is good, but the thick smoke in the casino & vibe club triggered my asthma & was hideous. I bought a piece of that 4 layer carrot cake & wasted $2.95, that cake wasn't even sweet, & was sick. The air went out in our cabin 2 of the 7 days along with the cabin across from us. If we didn't have our fans we brought, we'd burn up.

My mom & I went to bed early our last night, we weren't feeling it, & was past ready to go. They slid a note under the door saying that due to heavy fog & 0 visibility, the port was closed until further notice. My dad was picking us up in Galveston, & by the time I got up & saw the note, he & my uncle were already gone. We had priority debarkation which only helped us wait with diamond, platinum & other fttf guest as we didn't debark til almost 5 pm. Once we were clear, we got down to where our luggage was & were pissed. If a #1 debarkation tag is priority, why throw them in with the 2 & 3's? Our luggage was scattered from here to there.

In conclusion, our waiter Jose was wonderful, funny, attentive & danced with my mom. Our housekeeper Hamid was the same, up until the captain said due to the fog delay, we all could remain in our cabins. His attitude was horrible. It wasn't our fault the fog delayed not only us, but them from doing their jobs & backed them up, but he should've been just as pleasant to us regardless. I felt like snatching our tip back. I have lupus & other things, but my health isn't worth my going somewhere confined with so many people, & with some who purposely came with the flu because they didn't purchase the insurance, & didn't want to lose their money putting innocent people in harms way. We took precautions with reg hand washing, using wipes, but I got sick the Tuesday I came back up until now. I heard people saying they'd rather cruise the triumph instead & thats bad. Anyway, my last cruise.

Publication Date: 03/01/14