“Fog Delay and then NO FOOD-Feb 2-9”
Cruise review of Carnival Magic

Shippsatsea Carnival Magic 1 Fog Delay and then NO FOOD-Feb 2-9
Shippsatsea
Member Since 2014
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

We were delayed getting on board the ship due to fog. Now, the fog was not Carnival's fault, but the way the embarkation process was carried out was certainly their fault. We received e-mail messages Saturday night and again Sunday morning to give us information about the fog. We were told not to proceed to the ship as the Port Authority of Galveston had closed the port to all incoming and outgoing ships. A little after noon, we received an updated message saying that the ship would arrive in port around 2:30 and embarkation would begin about 5:30. Since we were already in Galveston, we decided to kill a little time and go to a movie. We arrived at the terminal at 5:44 pm. The traffic was horrendous. Other cruisers had disregarded that message and had already arrived and we were all herded into a Walmart sized room. I looked in and said, "Are we getting on a Holocaust ship?" People were sitting on benches, on the floor and against the wall while others were in line to be processed. We got on board at 10:45 PM! We were told when we got our Sign and Sail Card that the dining rooms and buffet lines would be open until everyone was fed. What a big lie! All that was open was the pizza line and ice cream. Our traveling mates decided to order room service rather than wait in the pizza line. It was delivered at 3 AM!

Monday was much better as we were finally at sea and the night before seemed like a bad dream. During the week, we had a good time, but the food on the Carnival Magic is subpar! The buffet lines were always crowded and the food was mediocre at best. The best thing we found was the omelet line and I liked the stir fry line. We did find a little sandwich bar on Deck 5 that was pretty good, but it had limited hours. Overall, if you are hungry after about 9 at night, you are out of luck unless you want to stand in line to get some pizza or eat ice cream! We ordered room service one time and the food was disgusting.

Our dining room wait staff was exceptional, but the food was only mediocre. We ate there every night and for the brunch on the days at sea. While I enjoyed several meals, I picked at most of them because the entrees were not that good. The lobster tail and shrimp night was good and one night I ordered the flat iron steak and it was tasty, but not exceptional.

We had late dining and that was a mistake because we were only about to see two shows the entire week because of poor scheduling of events. We spent most of our evenings watching people sing karaoke.

When Sunday morning came around, the captain came on and told us that we would be delayed getting back into Galveston because of fog. Again, Carnival could not help that situation, but the disembarkation process was about as screwed up as the embarkation process. We waited over two hours in line to go through customs. This was my sixth cruise, and the third one on a Carnival ship. I will most likely be giving Royal Caribbean or Princess my cruise dollars in the future. They do not give thrift store customer service! Sayonara, Carnival!

Carnival Magic Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Magic Review
Carnival Magic Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?