Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by bham1969

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: bham1969
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Just back from the childrens crusade!

We had 1700 children on our trip this past week! 1700! You could not move with out bumping into someones little darling. Remember when Atlantic City became a gambling paradise? There used to be little groups of children outside the casinos waiting for their parents to finish spending their college money! I saw the same thing on the breakaway! Way too young kids wondering the halls and stairways with no adults anywhere in sight! I swear this is true! We even saw a security guard asking a young girl what she was doing on the aft stairway by herself. The poor kid just stared at the guard and said nothing. Well enough about that.

The ship is beautiful in the big picture, but there are some obvious problems. One of the main ones I have is the size of the daily activity center called the "Atrium". It's much too small to host so many activities. There's about fifty chairs, seventy five at most. It has a tiny dance floor and foot traffic is reduced to a crawl when people are trying to see what is going on. It could be three times it's size and still have plenty of people looking for seats! All the staff were wonderful and couldn't do enough for us. The food was good as long as you ate in a sit down restaurant. The buffet was so-so, but what do you really expect from cafeteria style food. We had a mid-ship balcony. Plenty big enough for my wife and I. No complaints there.

This was our third cruise with NCL and were considered "Bronze" Latitude members. The second day on board my wife asked someone at customer service if there was going to be a latitude members party. The woman said yes and we'd probably get an invitation. On day five I walked up to a nice guy behind a desk and asked about the party. He asked my room number, smiled, and said "The party is only for silver members and above!" I filled out a Dear Prem card, he's the hotel director, and mentioned this class warfare wasn't the best way to retain customers. I got a standard reply from his office with some stuff about how important each guest was on the ship and they'd get back to me. I'm still waiting. It's not bad enough they have "THE HAVEN" in a secluded part of the ship so these people don't have to look at all we steerage folks in the regular part of the ship but they've now drawn a line in the sand to exclude people who have not cruised as much as others. I'll probably cruise with NCL again, but not on the Breakaway.

Publication Date: 02/28/14