Oriana Cruise Review by Chariots

Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Mediterranean
Cabin Number: C278
See More About: Oriana Cruise Reviews | Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | P&O Cruises Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Oriana Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Oriana Deck Plans
Blustery Biscay

We escaped the English winter with it's rain and gales to encounter the same at sea - fortunately we are good sailors and with the combined expertise of P&O and an excellent Captain had no worries about safety. Lisbon is a pretty boring place and having been there many times, debated whether to go ashore or not. We walked to a small bar not too far from the ship, where I left my husband to seek out a little shop I know to get some supplies for the cabin, the sun did come out and we were able to sit outside the cafe for a while. We then continued South and the weather improved immensely. We did not get off the ship in Agadir but sat in the sun on deck, then Cadiz - a really super place, then one of our favourites - Gibraltar, finally La Corunna where the weather definitely took a turn for the worse. It was not the roughest sea we have ever experienced, having been cruising for 34 years - the nice thing was that the Captain kept coming over the tannoy to tell passengers what was happening, I must compliment him on that - no wonder he is to captain the new ship Britannia. We always ask for a table for 2 in the dining room, but lately this does not seem to happen so we used the Conservatory self service restaurant, one steward in particular was most helpful always carrying my tray back to the table and helping my husband wherever he could, not his job he was a wine steward! We had a meal in Sorrento (Italian) one evening and it was excellent, although not quite as good as the one on Azura - once again the staff were so helpful, one young woman insisting on taking my husband's arm to help him to a comfortable seat outside, our usual after dinner venue. The entertainment was reasonable, although we don't bother with the shows as we have seen them - but the tenor Benjamin Makisi was fantastic. Despite the rough seas we enjoyed our little break and look forward to November when we are off again.

Publication Date: 02/28/14