Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by seamac29

Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: seamac29
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans
Mainly a great time Feb 8-19 2014

This was the second cruise for my wife and myself having gone out of Seattle to Alaska about 6 years ago where we had a penthouse in front on the Star. This time we had a mid ship mini suite on the 11th deck Starboard which proved to be a much easier location for everything especially the Garden buffet right upstairs. Loved the room very quiet really never heard anyone at all. The balcony door is tricky to lock(you don't really need to but if rough bouncy conditions if not locked will fly open. If not sure ask your steward to show you. I always bring along duct tape. I use it to block out ambient lighting (we like dark rooms) and it came in handy one night when the above door kept opening. Also is good if you need to run an extension cord. One item also to bring is one or two power strips as outlets are limite. In terms of TV yes I know one is not supposed to be watching to much but can NCL please have some dvariety . Therer is a channel with featured shows mainly sitcoms as two and half men, two broke girls and others that hve about two episodes each and are repeated the whole cruise. Same for movie channel where if I see the muppets one more time. Then we have 2 sport channels where since the passengers are predominately Canadian and American why are this there a neverending supply of cricket and foreign soccer matches. Seriously Cricket. I beleive that it is very poular in India but not here.The other channels are Nicelodeum and NCL channels . All in all this needs to be upgraded .

The overall communication between areas such as a bar to a restaurant etc. is lacking.. One example is when boarding after settling in to the room we had purchased the soda package and as we both only dring non caffenine and diet we used diet Sierra Mist. We were bounced from place to place to try and activate it . Finally an area that was selling this as well as liquor placed a sticker on our cards. This was done without any mention of giving us a large plastic drinking cup that we were suppossed to get. We realized this 2nd to last day. So wev constantly had a small cup with ice each time instead of filling up a easier to manage secured cup. Why are these not automatically given out at time of sticker? Very annying. Another pet peeve is we are not smokers. Yet when entering or existing the Stardust theatre at level 6 if you are walking thru the ship on level 6 you have to walk thru the casino which if thick with smokers. back to the soda issue I understand that it is not readily available but at least it should be easier at a dinner in a restaurant rather than always having to deal with a bar. We found it not to be worth the hassel especially that we were not given cups. The last issue is the quailty and quantity of food at the retaurants that carry no additional fee. Mainly these are the magenta and Grand Pacific. The quality was nowhere near the specialty restaurants we ate there 2 of the 7 nights and the food at each was minimal and lacking. I had a mozzarella caprese appy at GP and La Cucina . At La Cucina it was in the shape of a lobster tail upright alterrnating tomato and mozzarella slices maybe 8 or 9 slices each. At GP it was 2 small tomatoes with a half dollar thin piece of mozzarella. It appears that NCL is steering you to use the special restauarants which we did anyway but is not fair to regulars who do not want to pay extra. My wife had NE Clam chowder at GP and it was watered down, no clams and a brownish muddy color. My prime rib was about a quarter inch thick and fatty etc. whereas at the other restaurants superb. The shows we attended were all terrific-a man and woman circue do soleil type performance amazing,a suberb magician named chip romero and a entertaining comedian.

All in all way better than we had expected and we will be back. Just please address the casino smoking a lot more people would partake if smoke free. Alaso my wife had a top to toe massage and she has had many at various places and said it was the best ever.

Publication Date: 02/27/14