Emerald Princess Cruise Review by holy_cruzer: Great cruise

Compare Prices on Emerald Princess Southern Caribbean Cruises

Great cruise

Sail Date: February 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean

I just returned from my 10 day escape from the horrible winter we have had in the Great Lakes. This was my 4th Princess cruise and my favorite itineray and ship.

The piazza is organized in a way that it feels wider and easy to navigate.

Food - was good - the best in Sabatinnis. I was at 6pm Boticelli for 9 of the 10 nights and Sabatinnis one night. This ship has the perfect location for the premium dining experience. The veal - wow! and the Caprese salad (artisinal cow's milk cheese - amazing!)

I dislike all the marketing at all times - photographers in your face at every port, after dinner drinks every night, premium coffee bar, and such, but this ship is really in good shape and the crew take good care of her and her passengers.

The southern Caribbean itinerary was amazing! Anyone who is even slightly interested Ti Tou Gorge in Dominica is a MUST, and for those very active (let me tell you it really is a tough walk) the Seven Sisters Hike in More Gernanda is well worth the effort. Less

Read more Emerald Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Emerald Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Emerald Princess B731

Standard Princess Balcony Cabin - very far aft so you feel the thrusters when docking and departing. The Emerald Balcony seemed just a tiny bit bigger than on the Golden, Star or Caribbean Princess. Our Starboaed location seemed to be in full sun often, but I cannot say that it would happen on every cruise.

Snorkeling

(3)

I took the Mi Dushi cruise. Nothing wrong with the crew or boat, but it did not live up to my expectation of being on a sail boat. We were there on windy day - so water was choppy and visibility poor. The lunch was really good!

If you want a relaxed day on the water take this trip, if you want snorkel and fish - well I wish I had done snorkel in Bonaire.

Bicycle Rental

(5)

This was an easy way to see and learn about the Island. The best activity on the island is Snorkeling or diving, but I am glad I took this escape. There were plenty of stops and you could get water and even take the bus if you were tired. The bikes were not in too bad of shape, but they are mountain bikes and not road bikes so know what you're signing up for.

The shore views amazing
Goto Lake - had 2 flamingos. No one seems to know why, but flamingos are rare these days.

The final stop in Rincon - fun and be adventurous and try the cactus liquor.

Ti Tou Gorge

This was the best excursion I have ever taken. No words to describe the experience and the thrill. Water is cold - but not like Lake Superior cold, just dive in and then be ready for the whole thrill of swimming up to a waterfall. Something you won't find anywhere else.

Hiking

(5)

It was 'dry' when we hiked and this is the most demanding excursion I have attended. I'm younger than most cruises (late 30's) and did not struggle, but there were many who did not take the description serious and struggled a lot.

This was very worth the mud and sweat. Water is comfortable, warning for poor swimmers - take a flotation device and you will enjoy the experience. Snorkel belt or small vest would have made the approach to the falls in the water easy. Also water shoes are a must.

Hike in is hard (down hill) but up took us much less time.

Not a bad day at the beach - don't limit yourself to the 'developed' section, hike along the shore or in the dirt roads. Be sure to take water, no great swimming areas - also don't bother to pay the prices for Cabanas or Clam Shells. There is a good amount of free shade.