Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by thomas_pokorny: Great first time cruise!!!
Member Since 2014
Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Bahamas Cruises
Great first time cruise!!!
- Food from the dining room was excellent
- Lots of salmon options plus other seafood options
- They were often nice enough to let us try multiple entrees and such if we were indecisive
- Filet in the Steakhouse was great
- Liked that they would wrap stuff up and let us take it back to the room – the rest of the aforementioned filet was still yummy the next morning
- Buffet wasn’t bad either (they even had salmon with the breakfast buffet)
- We ordered lunch in one day and it was also pretty good – although it did take a while for them to deliver it to us
- Staff was EXCELLENT – always attentive and patient with all our questions and requests
- We did my time dining but still got the same waiter for every night we did the sit down dinner
- Venito, our waiter, recognized we got coffee every night and preemptively brought it out when we sat down by the More third night
- The cruise director, Marc Walker, and activities manager, Alison Currie, were both a blast. Bing Bong!
- I was really impressed that, after forgetting a picture I’d bought in the casino the last night of the cruise, they not only retrieved it for us but put a notice on our cards so when we disembarked we were alerted because of it.
- Coco Cay was alright – liked that we could just relax on a hammock and not have to pay anything for it
- Tendering was kind of a pain – if we had wanted to rush out there in the morning we’d have had to wait in a line forever for a boat
- We went out there later in the morning and didn’t stay too late – it was more fun to relax in the room and order in for lunch
- At Nassau, we were able to work out a way to do the “Aquaventure” water park in Atlantis (Paradise island immediately north of New Providence island) WITHOUT paying
o Keep in mind – it’s normally over $100 a person
o Rachel used her points to get a room at Comfort Suites – which includes tickets to the water park
o Water park was awesome – the Not-So-Lazy river was the highlight
- It was nice that the ship stays in Nassau so late so we didn’t have to rush back
- Other than that we didn’t do anything too exciting at Nassau but a few other random notes and thoughts:
o Coming back to Nassau brought back memories of when I was there once several years before – some thoughts:
Driving – how did I drive my own car the first time??
People – lots of friendly people in Nassau
o We also got some Coca Cola with real sugar, wish we’d figure out in the US how much better this tastes than the High Fructose Crap
o Also got a Cuban cigar to smoke on the ship the next evening
- Might want to do another cruise one day as I’m more interested in some other Caribbean islands or maybe other ports of call, but this was fine for a first-time cruise
- We missed a lot of the main stage shows but the performers seemed to be doing a good job when we peeked in
- The Cruise Director and Activities person were great!
- We did do several of the trivia and other competition events
o Rachel kicked butt in the Finish the Lyric competition and got to become a celebrity since like half the ship showed up to watch(the event was in the Centrum or main open area of the ship spanning several floors)
She wasn’t a fan of being a celebrity so much but she definitely impressed the crowd
o Rachel also owned a Michael Jackson Name That Song trivia contest – I don’t think the other teams had a chance
o We also won a TV tune trivia contest (at least I helped in that one)
o On the Harry Potter trivia - yeah we couldn’t beat out the other Harry Potter geeks on the boat. Then again, three teams got a perfect score – the questions could have been a bit tougher considering how many Harry Potter fanatics are out there.
- It seemed like there was always something to do on the boat – the only frustration was that you often had to miss something you wanted to do because it would happen at the same time as something else
- I’d been prepared for the room to be small – with that in mind, it wasn’t so bad
- We’d gotten a room with a Window but found out shortly before the cruise it was only going to be portholes
o I’d have rather had the windows, but the portholes weren’t terrible – at least they let in some light and let us look out at the stars over the water at night
- Ronaldo, our Room Steward, was very attentive and helpful
- They would play back the stage shows and other fun skits on the TV in the rooms – it was fun watching these before settling into bed
- Didn’t like that there wasn’t a mini-fridge in the room
- Also didn’t like the bathroom setup – OY:
o The water pressure in the sink was such that it was almost impossible not to have the water splash everything when you were trying to wash your hands
o The shower was terrible:
Yes, I know a shower in a stateroom is not going to be phenomenal but…
The shower head was pointed against curtain instead of a wall so water went pretty much everywhere in the bathroom
It was hard to use properly given the small dimensions of the shower area
Couldn’t get the water temperature right – it would often change on its own after a few minutes
After this – the shower in a Comfort Suites room was like a luxury
- The “extra” expenses were not nearly as bad as I expected…
- Drinks seemed to be reasonably priced
o The drink deals were fine but you could almost get away with buying drinks individually and not pay a fortune unless you wanted to drink heavily
o To be fair, we did have several drink tickets for the casino bar, but I still bought several drinks and wasn’t hurting too badly
o They do also have soda only packages that seem very reasonable if you really want to drink a bunch of soda
o If you don’t mind drinking water, lemonade, tea, or coffee, you don’t have to pay for drinks at all – it didn’t bother me not having a soda or beer at dinner as much as I thought
- I know the MO of a cruise ship is that they are going to nickel-and-dime you but I didn’t feel like most of what they were charging for was unreasonable
o Didn’t like that you had to pay for Starbucks coffee when you could get regular coffee for free (same with the Ben and Jerry’s ice cream)
o You also have to pay a LOT for internet and mobile phone signal, but do you REALLY want to spend a cruise online or on the phone (most likely checking work email and things like that in my case)?
o Keep in mind that most of the food is free whether it’s buffet, sit down meal (Breakfast, Lunch, and/or Dinner) or a quick bite after / before hours at the café
o You had to pay for bingo but, if you win, you might get some of that back
o Pretty much all of the other events are completely FREE
o Also, things like the rock climbing wall and such (that they could charge for) were at no cost
Other / Overall:
- The muster drill was a pain in the butt – understanding from my girlfriend was that the approach they took on this ship was much less organized and comfortable than other cruise lines she’s sailed. It was way too much standing around and not very informative
- The ship was nicely laid out – liked the open layout in the centrum area and got several pics
- It was awesome walking along the deck at night and experiencing the elements at sea
o You could walk around on the top and get a LOT of breeze or
o Walk around on the fifth floor and get a little less – this was where we hung out and smoked our Cuban cigars
- Pool area was nice, although we didn’t really use it at all – I was pretty cooked after the Atlantis waterpark and didn’t really get around to doing the pool before that
- We didn’t do the spa or use the exercise area, but both seemed nice
- Speaking of exercise, we took the stairs everywhere to try and work off some of those meals – man, I’m outta shape, but who can blame me after going up four or five floors at a time!
- Ship seemed to be kept clean and in good shape
- Oh yeah – not having access to internet or cell phone signal (without paying a LOT of money) was a scary thing for me before the cruise. I like to be tethered. That said, it’s kind of a GOOD thing that you have an excuse not to check your work email or give your family and friends constant updates. Just enjoy the cruise.
All in all, I had a blast. I’d HIGHLY recommend this cruise to a first-time cruiser. Feel free to drop me a line with any questions. Less
Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Enchantment of the Seas Review >>
Great time on the Beautiful MS...
It has to be great management
Another fabulous cruise with R...
Enchantment of the Seas Octobe...
AWESOME first ever cruise!