Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by pinknotes: Fantastic, fun ship!

pinknotes
Member Since 2013

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Spirit South Pacific Cruises

Fantastic, fun ship!

Sail Date: December 2013
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

This was our first cruise ever and I must say I was quite skeptical about cursing, however, on our first night on the Spirit the 4 of us had already decided to re-book again for the following year!

We travelled in December 2013, party consisted of 2 adults and one 3yo with another 2 adults in their own room.

EMBARKATION

Was a mess, we arrived just before 12:30 for our 12:30 time slot and their computer systems were down. There was a massive line and people everywhere. We were handed forms which we needed to fill in all of our information which everyone had already filled on-line prior to cruising. By 3pm the first group (12:30 group) was finally upstairs going through customs – it was chaotic. As soon as we got on the ship we went to our room, dropped our hand baggage off, checked baggage was already there and we went straight upstairs for a much needed drink!

That night every cabin received a letter apologizing for the delay in boarding and More we were all offered a complimentary alcoholic drink in the dining room that evening.

ROOM

We had an extended balcony room on the Deck 7. A king size bed for myself and hubby and the sofa was turned into a full sized single bed for 3yo. Plenty of cupboard space, suitcases fit nicely under bed which gave more room. The position of our room was mid ship and an OK position but next time I have booked to be closer to the lifts as we were walking the long mid-ship hallway so often!

Deck was quiet, not much noise from hallways, above or below.

Extended balcony was nice – as I had never cruised before I even thought the extended balcony was a bit small so I am glad I chose that rather than the normal!

The couple we were travelling with had an AFT View ext balcony, their room internally was the same as ours, but the balcony was a bit wider, however the angle of the balcony rail made it the same size. AFT Cabin was lovely to watch as the ship sailed away from ports, but we were told the night was noisy with quite a lot of vibrating, which we didn’t hear/feel midship.

FOOD

Food was amazing! We had a few dietary requirements in our group and the staff just go out of their way to assist you and make you happy. I have not got one bad thing to say about the food.

Loved Jimmy’s C Side Grill up on the top deck, freshly grilled meats, salads and veggies – delicious.

DRINKS

Alcohol prices were like Aussie bar prices, except for cocktails. Beers around $8, wine the and spirits the same. Cocktails $10.50 and they put a good amount of liquor in them, let’s just say – you only need a couple!

ENTERTAINMENT

Entertainment was just OK. Admittedly, we did not get to see everything we wanted as kids club closed at 10pm, so I was in our room with our little one at 10pm most nights, however, my sister and her hubby who travelled with us saw the shows and said some were great but others boring and corny. Comedy club though was fantastic and I wished I had seen more than just one show!

Not much entertainment to interest us during the day (2 x late 20s / early 30s couples) but we honestly just thoroughly enjoyed sitting by the pool, drinking cocktails and listening to the DJ or live bands during the day as we had PERFECT weather every day.

POOLS

Pools were really cold! Not sure if that was normal or a once off, but actually too cold to stay in there for a while.

Spas on Lido deck were full of kids (8-12yo) and the water looked like it had so much chlorine in it, you wouldn’t want to go in there anyway. Spa in Serenity was MUCH nicer and no kids!

Serenity deck was fantastic. Hard to find a sun lounge during certain times of the day, but they do have a 40 minute policy where if someone has not been to their chair in 40 minutes staff will remove the towels and you can have the chair. I think that is quite fair as it is not hard to return to your chair within 40 minutes if you don’t want to lose it, not like you’re out snorkeling or anything!

DAY SPA

Had one massage, was nice, normal Aus prices

SHOPS

Were great for alcohol, perfumes and cosmetics. Selection of jewelry and watches etc. was just OK, nothing special. Perfume and alcohol range was good. Cosmetics on board were (small range of each) Estee Lauder, Clinique, L’oreal and something else that I can’t remember!

A few ‘surf’ branded items at decent prices and some touristy clothing was in one of the shops as well.

They had a small range of necessities as well like sunscreen (bring your own! The sunscreen on board is crap!) and shampoo etc.

DISEMBARKATION

Quick and easy. We had breakfast first and were some of the last few off the ship. We were off the ship and at the airport by 10am, pity we had a 1pm flight!

OVERALL

We loved it, had so much fun – drinking in the sun, playing mini golf, eating, seeing shows, listening to music. Our 3yo loved it too, went to kids club, swam, played.

I would highly recommend, however, if you are looking for more of a ‘traditional / classy’ cruise – this is not it; the food is, but I think the type of people onboard and entertainment will leave you disappointed compared to HAL, Celebrity, Princess etc. Carnival Spirit is a ‘fun’ ship and we are young, had fun and not a care in the world! Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Balcony Verandah 7164

Great cabin, barely any noise, balcony nice size.

Went to Noumea on a Sunday, to be honest – not much to write about. We did not like it.
Went to the Aquarium, it was OK but not amazing.
Water was nice and warm, beach was just OK (not much sand), we went to Anse Vata. Hardly anything is open on a Sunday so there is not much else to do. We only stayed on the island for a couple of hours then went back and enjoyed the less busy ship!!

Read 69 Noumea Reviews