Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by 4seasidegal

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by 4seasidegal
Sapphire Princess
Sapphire Princess
Member Name: 4seasidegal
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
See More About: Sapphire Princess Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Sailing to Mexico

Hubby and I have sailed to Mexico several times and have sailed to Alaska and Hawaii in addition to California Costal cruises. We are active seniors who live near the port of Los Angeles. We did not need a hotel so we drove to the port and parked there. Parking at present is $12 per day and there were lots of spaces when we arrived at noon. We were able to board immediately and our cabin was available then. The buffet was open for lunch. Food was plentiful but not quite as good quality as on previous cruises but I am a picky eater. Servers were very helpful and polite.

Our cabin was on Deck 10 interior and was nice and also quiet the entire trip. We were close to elevators and stairway (which I like to use) but not so close as to hear what little noise there was. The cabin has two large mirrors on opposite walls so it appears larger and was plenty large enough for us. Large closet and nice bathroom also. Our steward was friendly and courteous and kept the cabin nice at all times.

Dining rooms are nice and service was very good in each one we tried. We used the anytime dining and never had to wait for a table. We like joining others but if you wanted a table for two you may have to wait. I believe some dining rooms take reservations but we did not use that service. There was also an extra charge restaurant but we did not use it. Also there is a pizza restaurant in the Atrium, a pizza, hot dog, hamburger shop on deck, and a snack shop with soup, sandwiches, pastries in the Atrium. The Atrium is the center of the ship and on decks 5, 6, and 7. It's very pretty and they have musicians performing and have some passenger participation games there such as egg drop and Jenga. There is an ice cream shop on Deck 14 also.

The pools are beautiful on Deck 14. There is an inside pool and an outside pool with several hot tubs and also two more smaller pools and hot tub on the back of the ship.

The library was the nicest I have seen on a ship and had a lot of books. They also had a book club discussion on the last day. The book to read is listed on the Princess site or they have a limited number that you can read during the week.

Entertainment - the comedians were fantastic! Carlos George was one act and the other act was Alfred and Seymour. We found them both to be really humorous and had some great laughs from them. Chris Ricketts played the guitar and sang and did a lovely job of both. Really enjoyed his performances.

Ports: We only got off in Puerto Vallarta as we have done this cruise several times. PV is very pretty and looks very clean. Take a bus or cab downtown to the old town and walk the sidewalk along the ocean. I like PV a lot.

OK now the slightly negative - not enough activities especially on sea days. I understand not having them on port days but not everyone wants to get off in the ports. Please more activities. I can only play so much trivia. There is no game room but several games that can be checked out in the library. There were some unhosted games but the day we went not many showed up and the ones that did were bridge players and we don't play bridge. I'm not enthused about the outdoor movie screen but could be that the weather was not warm enough and the ones who did try it were a little cold. They also play video concerts on the outdoor movie screen but mostly were not music we liked. This ship had a lot of older people and I wonder if they could gear the music to the crowd. Maybe not. I tried a line dance class but it was so crowded that I left before it was over.

Disembarkation was delayed by port authorities but only for about 45 minutes. The cruise line has no control over that anyway and the rest of disembarkation was very smooth.

Conclusion: Need more activities and maybe some better food. Would I go on this cruise again. Yes.

Publication Date: 02/26/14