Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Prewelli: Amazing vacation on a truly elegant ship

Prewelli
Member Since 2004
1,099 Posts

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Amazing vacation on a truly elegant ship

Sail Date: January 2014

We hadn't cruised since 2007 for a variety of reasons. We booked Eclipse because of the itinerary - it isnt worth flying from theUk for less than 14days and we love sailing out of fort Lauderdale. We have always sailed on Summit before and she occupies a very special place in our hearts so it was with some trepidation we boarded Eclipse.

The ship is outstandingly elegant. The staterooms immaculate although a little smaller for storage space than Summit. This was compensated for by a fabulous shower in aqua class yes it accommodated 2!

Cruising has changed a little since 2007 - lot more 'add ons' like speciality restaurants etc. I am sure for adding choice this is a good thing but does add to the cost of the holiday. The food in moonlight sonata was good but not as good as we expected. Blu was superb for breakfast and we would travel aqua class again just for this. Although blu was good in the evening we only ate in there twice as we preferred the MDR and were glad we More made a fuss about eating there before we left. This is one thing Celebrity need to clarify.

We had select dining and didnt find the same rapport with our waiter as previously on late sitting - but it was still excellent.

Ensemble lounge we found dark and depressing.

We did most of the ships excursions which were all ok with the exception of St Lucia which was appalling and I would hesitate to leave the ship here again. We booked one private excursion-Silver Moon in Barbados which was truly outstanding.

We joined in a few activities and the staff were excellent especially Chiko and the choir - such fun.

The lawn and the Solstice deck were great for peace and quiet and lovely views when in port.

I had the soda package which was excellent value especially as it was very hot coming home and much needed! We didn't take the all inclusive as I don't drink that much and we calculated after that this was the right decision for us.

We only went to two shows the second was excellent - broadway review- the first we felt a little unpolished. We never got to see Perry Grant as he was 'performing' in Michaels club which was too claustrophobic for me and I felt his 'wit' as reported by other cruisers would not have been to my taste - but it would have been better if we could have sat in the sky lounge to judge. The cruise activities director was Australian and didnt interact to well with the guests.

All in all a lovely cruise and we will definitely book for 2016 - 2015 is to soon to do the same itinerary - thats how I feel at present but when the memory of the long tiring journey from the Uk and the horrendous experience of Miami airport fades who knows? We booked all our travel thru Celebrity and could not fault the arrangements. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse 1639

Lovely quiet cabin ideally situated.