Silver Explorer Cruise Review by Prouss1

Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Ushuaia
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: French Balcony
See More About: Silver Explorer Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Silversea Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Silver Explorer Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Do you want to book this ship?

I’ll start this review so that readers have an understanding of my background: late 30s couple, travel 3 months of the year, and have done over 100 cruises in my lifetime. I can enjoy the finer things in life as well as an outdoor BBQ in Texas that’s a dive.

This was our second Silver Seas Cruise and I think if you are spending the kind of money we just did ($30k for the two of us for Antarctica) you expect things to reflect that cost, when they don’t, there is a disconnect. We had a "French balcony" room which essentially is the higher end of the rooms, only 20 on the ship.

Here are some highlights of my thoughts on this cruise:

1) The ship looks like its 25 plus years old, it has aged and I was shocked to find out it was built in 2008

2) The stateroom beds are horrific, imagine sleeping with a crease down the center in two small beds, and invest in a mattress top. The closet space was far too small for cruises like this where you have winter clothes and the TV had 4 channels, yes 4. Fox News, BBC, a French news station, and CNN. Really? 4 channels on a cruise ship with no entertainment, no casino, nothing to do?

3) The food was HORRENDOUS. We have sailed NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, and yes even Carnival has more variety than this ship. I get it, you are in Antarctica, but that’s no excuse for the lack of variety or quality of food. Dinner menu every night was "a steak that really wasn’t a steak, but cuts of a strip in a sauce, lamb, fish filets like the ones you could find on Golden Corral Buffet, and a vegetarian menu. That’s it. And believe me plenty of other passengers were not happy with this. For the money they charge it is a DISGRACE. Even the ice cream was bad.

4) The most annoying part of the cruise was the expedition team leader, this woman found it necessary to come on the loud speakers at 6am, YES 6am and 7 am on numerous days where the first landing or excursion wasn’t for 2 hours. She would come on and let you know that breakfast was being served and remind you that the first expedition would be in 90 minutes. I am sorry, but they had briefings each and every night to let you know this and on top of that it would come the night before in your daily itinerary. Getting woken up at 6am by someone on a loud speaker you couldn’t turn off right above your bed was downright ignorant.

The ships staff was amazing with details and service, but it doesn’t make up for the issues above. I would NOT recommend booking with this at all, it doesn’t live up to the Silver Seas name.

Publication Date: 02/26/14