Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by arnaldos77: Relaxed cruise - dirty ship

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Bahamas Cruises

Relaxed cruise - dirty ship

Sail Date: February 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I still feel that Carnival is one of the best value for the money in terms of cruising. I have sailed several of their ships including the Glory, Fascination, Sensation, etc., and am a Gold level member in their loyalty program. All things considered, I would not sail the Splendor again if I could help it. The ship is fine and the appointments typically Carnival. The crew is also very friendly and they do try their best to please you. The problem is that the dining areas are messy and dirty which, in my book, reflects a problem with management and organization. Mind you, this seems to be a problem with the Splendor and not with Carnival in general. Around the Lido deck, where the buffet is served, you would commonly find piles of used trays, leftover food, dirty dishes and silverware while the crew simply walked by and did not clean up the mess. More than once we witnessed a "manager" (those are the ones dressed in white) addressing the issues with personnel but the problem persisted More throughout the cruise. We had dinner at the Golden Pearl restaurant and witnessed the same problem although not nearly to the same degree as in the Lido deck. This lack of organization was also reflected in the beverage area. One night we sat in the Promendae right accross from the casino and it took nearly an hour for a waiter to ask if we needed a drink. We opted for getting the drinks ourselves from the sports bar where a very gracious bartender named I Made (seriously) compensated for the lack of service at the Promenade. Not surprisingly, staff did not remove used glasses, napkins not cans from the tables. One final comment about the food; overall it's very good, but the powdered scrambled eggs served for breakfast are not fit for human consumption! I would not feed that to my dog. I am sure that would chance if the captain tried them only once.....that was just discusting. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

It's a small shopping village with the usual island trinkets but the music is good and the people friendly and laid back. Must take a taxi to see anything else.

Read 779 Freeport Reviews

Typical of a Caribbean island. Easy on/off and located withing walking distance of a really cool public beach. Lots of small bars with personality and shopping but the prices are less than friendly.

Read 2644 Nassau Reviews

Easy access, plaesant baggage handlers and fast service from the Carnival people.

Port Canaveral looks and feels like a Russian parking lot - use your imagination. Staff is professional and friendly but the place is an industrial dump.