Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by dac50

Member Name: dac50
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Australia & South Pacific Good but not Great!

We booked this cruise several months before the actual departure date of January 23rd. The birth was right next to the Sydney Opera House and what a view we had from the port side of the ship from our "junior suite". We were in 8072.

We had a couple of problems right from the start. This ship was refurbished earlier that year and I would have thought that they would have replaced the mattresses, but ours sagged badly in the middle , was lumpy and it took complaints the second day to three different people including the assistant hotel director to get action. They "rebuilt" the bed with foam and it was satisfactory the remainder of the cruise.

My other complaint is actually my fault for not knowing Australian school holidays. We had over 550 kids on board and they ran amonk. The hot tubs were turned off their bubbliers and in the pool kids were constanly jumping in and splashing. I like kids but not in such vast quanities. At this point I should acknowledge that I am an American and so wasn't aware of this cruises popularity with the Aussies that made up the vast number of passengers. They luv to have fun and there were many parties that were both organized and not.

The food, such an important part of any cruise was good in the specialty resturants and OK in the main dinning room but below par in the caffiteria buffett. It was disorganized and often various entries were empty. This is my 15th cruise and I would place the food in the buffett at or near the bottom.

The other disappointment was the Islands. They were beautiful and we had a great time. But the ship had no organized excursions on any but Numeau, New Caledonia. It was more like tender you to the pier and you are on your own. I am used to more organized oportunities than what was offered or actually not offered. Entertainment, except the commedian and the singer (both of who were great) was also good but not great.I have traveled on Azamara and Celebrity cruises and this cruise was no where near the quality of those. Maybe my expectations were too high.

That said, I still enjoyed the cruise and would give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Publication Date: 02/24/14